Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
who was married March 1, 1838, claims that his marriage was the first one to occur in the county. He reported that the first male child born in the Town of Mequon was Gideon Bigelow and the second child was Watson Woodworth. Woodworth relates that in the summer of 1838, he and his wife reaped their first crop of wheat with case knives and in the fall he made a trip with a borrowed oxen to the mill at Kilbourntown, now a part of Milwaukee and thence to Harts mill on the Menomonee River where he succeeded in getting the wheat ground. This is said to have been the first grist of wheat to a mill from the Town of Mequon. The survey of the land in the Town of Mequon was made in 1834 to 1836. The head surveyor was a man by the name of Brink. From 1833 to 1841 the Township began to show signs of white race settlements. In 1833, Joseph Wood, his brother Ephram Wood, Peter Thurk, Reuben Wells, Ishman Day, and several Irish families made settlements in the Town. The pioneers followed the Indian trails north of Milwaukee until they reached Pigeon Creek, where they erected some shanties. In 1838t Peter Thurk set up a saw mill. The next saw mill was built by Reuben Wells. He also established a grist mill. John Weston had entered 160 acres which he sold to John Willet. John Weston then bought a quarter section in what is now the Village of Thiemsville. This he sold to John Henry Thien.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright