Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
History of Belgium, pp. 83-86
History of Belgium Oldtimers in the area say that the Luxembourgers came to this area in 184. They had left Europe because of their opposition to the philosophies of Karl Marx and his "free thought" interpretations of the Bible. Riots and revolutions were taking place in France, a Marx headquarters was establithed in 186 in Brussels, Belgium, and many of the people decided to leave their country. They selected this Wisconsin area because of the similarity in climate, the abundant forests and the rich soil, as proven by the luxuriant growth. Being farmers, these people recognized a good crop growing region. Same settled at Holy Cross in 1845. The village name, according to legend, derived from a man having been lost in the woods for daye. In his prayers he prwftised God 'hat if he were spared he would build a chapel and call it Holy Cross. The story goes on that, following his rescue, the man fulfilled his covenant. By 1846, 12 families were residents of Holy Cross. People from Lake Church walked the four miles to Holy Cross for church services. It is said that the Lake Church residents had to ford several streams to reach the place of worship. It was the responsibility of the men to carry their women across the water. Grievances against their "burdens" were resolved with a ducking. Early names recorded in the history of Belgium are R. Watry, J. Weyker, R. Sosley, A. Bartol, B. Schomer, N. La _gers, J. P. Watry, 1. Wilgen, P. Biever, T. L .Peirsoa and R. Reading. On July ll, 188, at the first regular town meeting, it was decided that Belgium would be incorporated as a township with officers B. Schomer and Nick LaIgert. It was in 1848 that district No. 1 built the first school and Wis- consin became a state.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright