University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

The history of Thiensville and Mequon,   pp. 75-80


Page 76

The History of
Thiensville and Mequon
post office called Pigeon Creek Post Ofi
kept that name until 1883 when it was l
The Green Bay Road which was s-rve
John Weston in 1836-1837. It was a diff
was used that way until 184. The presE
the same trail. The Cedarburg Plank Roe
two gates, one a little south of the pre
and the other at the northwest corner of
was one cent per horse per mile. These
logs which were very lumpy.
In 1838 Peter Turck set up a saw mi
a grist mill. Joachim Heinrich Thien ca
in 1842 and bought Weston's 148 acres wh
of Thiensville as it is today. He laid
and had the canal or mill race dug by In
dam to give power to the mil, which sto
Ozaukee Finance Company. There were thr
Thien's mill, then a two story mill buil
down, and the third, a mill of five stor
1873. This was torn down in 1956 but th
it still stands.
The Germans and the Irish were the
The Germans came because of religious op:
were free thinkers, but not to be confus
God was in all the beauties of nature a


Go up to Top of Page