Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Historical sketches of Saukville, pp. 37-39
Historical Sketches of Saukville Willism Penn has any man been held in higher veaneration, or wielded more powerful influence over the aborigines than did Solomon Juneau over the tribes of Wisconsin. With them his word Va law he was the agent of the Great Father at Washington. By his just dealinga, he won a place in the hearts of the Indians." After the Indians ceded their land, they rmained in the county for several years, but left when the whites esgan to m e extensive imporvments. The last to linger was an old Chief named Wubekp who had made a mall clearing near the Milwaukee river where he lived with remants of his tribe. Many relics, evidences of the Indiansa' way of lfe, have been found in the area, especially along the river where they ceeped and spent a great deal of time. Bones unearthed in excavting in recent years have been identified as those of these early tribesmen. The first roads were surveyed by the goverrent soon after the Menmonee treaty The military road raunning east fw Deorra, thence arosm the state to what is now Port Washington, was known as the Detorra Road. It va opened by General Dodge in 1832 or 1833. It entered the limit of the county in what is now the tM of Adisonp the road running on the section line between nubers seven and 18, and passed through West Bond, Trenton, and Saukville to Port Washington, The Green Day a VU surv e in 1833 and 1833, from iago to Green Day through what is now the lake shore tier of towns, and ran through what aro' now the towns of eqaon, Grafton# Port Washington an Belgi. These were the earliest and only roads surveye In the county before 183% and were, merely blued through by the engineers prior to that tiae.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright