University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin

Key personalities in the history of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County,   pp. 15-21

Page 20

Key Personalities in the History
of Cedarburg & Ozaulcee County
Another pioneer name still prominent in Cedarburg, is that of J. P. Wirth
a native of Bavaria, born in 18l5 and coning to Cedarburg from New York in 1844
to ply his trade as a shoemaker. First employed by Fred Sleifer, he opened hii
qwn business in I047, and married Margaret Mueller. In 1850, tired of living
in a log cabin, he built his frame house (still occupied in 1881). In 1865
he began dealing in ready made boots and shoes. (The Wirth Store in Cedaburg
is still selling the* in 1369.) In 1870, J. P. and his son Carles built a
fine stone building for their store. This is still standing at 121 North
Washington Avenue. In 1878, Mr. Wirth retired and gave his share of the
business to his yunger son 9utave, whereupon the firm became known as Wirth
Di'    ,, Wittenberg, who came from Hanover Germany with his parents in 1844.,
has his name still listed among Cedarburg's proninent citizens in 1964. He
first lived on a farm with his famiy until 1855, age 20. He spent ten vears
in teaing and then went into partnership with Fred Hilgen to build the Cedar-
burg Woolen Mills. In 187? he became President of the coany. He wa the
father of eight children. Several Wittenberg families are still living in
Cedarburg in 1965, and Carl Wittenberg is still operating the woolen mill.
Another pioneer who remained in Cedarburg only seven years before moving
to Port Washington, nevertheless left his mark on both ccemwties. In
Cedarburg, JoM C. Soeeling was in the grocery and hotel business from 1853
to 1859. During that time he grganized the Singer Society, the Cedarbuwg Rif14
COMpAPy, of which he was captain, and the Turner Society. The old stone
Txrnverein was a landmark in Cedarburg for over 100 years and was torn down in
1960 only after a valiant fight to save it by historic minded Cedarburg women.
It stgod on the site of the present Cedarburg State Bank on the corner of

Go up to Top of Page