University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin

Key personalities in the history of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County,   pp. 15-21

Page 17

Key Personalities in the History
of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County
and with a gift for inspiring others, Mr. Hilgen willingly aided every worthy
project for the advancement of the ccmmunity. His woolen mill was the only
one west of Philadelphia, manufacturing worsted yarn. He was one of the
founders of The Bank of Cedarburg in 1880, and was a director of the Mechanics
Mutual Insurance Company of Milwaukee. Most interesting of his projects was
his famous Hilgen Spring Park Resort, opened in 1852. It covered 74 acres of
which 30 acres were forest. There were two hotels, a band stand, apring and
a bath house, several fountains, artistic flower beds, and gravel walks. The
whole was under the supervision of Dr. H. A. Jaergens. By the 1880's it was
visited by people from Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans each sumer.
Mr. Hilgen wgs a state senator in 1860 and a Republican elector for 1872.
He and his wife had 13 children. Their home, built in 18451 in the style of
Charleston homes where they previously lived, still stands (196) at 139 East
Spring Street. It is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Howard Lyon, who acquired it
from Mrs. Frederick Hilgen, granddaughter-in-law of the original owner.
Two very important personalities in the Village of Cedazburg in 1846
were Dr. Theodore Hartwig and druggist Hugo Boclo. The doctor had come from
his home in Germany to Milwakee and made the last of his journey on foot;
taking three days to follow the Milwaukee River through the woods to Cedarburg,
shooting game on the vay for his food. The letters which he sent home to his
parents in Germany describing the entire trip eventually found their way back
to this area and were translated from the German by Arthur Boerner of Milwaukee
for the State Historical Society. Pblished in the Ozaukee Press, the clippings

Go up to Top of Page