University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Key personalities in the history of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County,   pp. 15-21


Page 16

Key Personalities in the History
of Cedarburg & Ozaukee County
hard by a forest's side; far from resort of people that did pass in travel to
and fro." Although he was greatly respected by his fellow pioneers, there
was much speculation over the cause of his melancholy solitude. It was at
Valentine Hand's hotel, a favorite early day meeting place, that the name of
the little community was changed in 1847 from New Dublin District to the
Hamilton District. No reason has been given for the change. Daniel Sttickland,
Samuel Place, and L. Fox also made early improvements in New Dublin.
But in 1844 Frederick Hilen and William Schroeder made a prospecting
tour to New Dublin, and proceeded to cut a road through the forest to what
became the Village of Cedarburg. From 1845 to 1879 (his death) Mr. Hilgen
was Cedarburg's most enthusiastic promoter, and leading business man, recognized
as the founder of the village and affectionately called "Father Hitgen" by
its citizens. Born in 1805 in Oldenburg Germany, het was forced in early boyhood
to rely upon his own resources and worked as a como   laborer until he- was
27 years old, when he came to Baltimore in 1832. Aft-er a year there, he went
to Charleston, South Carolina, as a clerk in a store and by his industry a
integrity, in two years had a store of his own. His business prospered d4uing
his ten years in the south. For nine years he was a avember of the loyal
organization known as the "German Fusileers" and with them served in the Florida
war. In 1837, he married Louisa Boerner in a voyage back to his native
Oldenburg Germany. In 1843, he sold out in Charlston and. moved to Milwaukee
where he was in business for two years. In the meantime, having purchased
260 acres, he moved his family to Cedarburg in 1845. HerE began his partner-
ship with William Schroeder, which lasted until 1865. Th(y first erected a
grist mill (1845), a much needed saw mill in 1847., then t(Dgether with Diedrich
Wittenberg, a woolen mill (3,064). HIlgjn built a soda wa er factory in 1869
at his "Cold Springs" and a planing mill in 1871. Natura4 ly enterprising,


Go up to Top of Page