University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wester, Kevin J. (ed.) / Consumed by fire : a collection of writings about the famous Wisconsin Chair Company fire, Port Washington, Wisconsin, February 19, 1899
([1997])

Luxemburger Gazette: Dubuque, Iowa February 28, 1899,   pp. 76-77


Page 77

The same building had the cigar factory of N. Schneider, $3,000.00
J. G. Schroling home, $1,000.00
L. G. Wambold home, $2,500.00
G. W. Foster store building of jeweler Butzine. used by veterinarian J. J. Oberst,
$1,000.00
Peter Sturm home
Math. Eidenberger home and barn, $1,400.00
Ed Neuendorf three homes and saddle shop, $3,000.00
Peter Becker home, $800.00
Joseph Ubbink framehouse, $300.00
The firefighters, Michael J. Hackett and P. J. Linehan from Milwaukee and Alvin
Krause from Port Washington, were injured at work from the bricks of the falling
chimney of the Neuendorf building. The last two suffered knee injuries that were not
serious. Hackett died Tuesday morning in a Milwaukee hospital of a broken vertebrae.
It is not definite, but probable, that the chair company will be rebuilt on the same
spot. The chair company means a lot to Port Washington and it is everyone's wish to
have it rebuilt here. With some exceptions, all burned down buildings will be rebuilt as
soon as there is a chance.


Go up to Top of Page