University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wester, Kevin J. (ed.) / Consumed by fire : a collection of writings about the famous Wisconsin Chair Company fire, Port Washington, Wisconsin, February 19, 1899

Milwaukee Journal: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Monday, February 20, 1899,   pp. 52-53

Milwaukee Sentinel: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Tuesday, February 21, 1899,   pp. 53-54

Page 53

Dr. James Hackett, who is a brother of E. P. Hackett and a cousin of Michael
Hackett, also went up to Port Washignton and took charge of the men. He stated to a
reporter for The Journal that there was little or no chance of his cousin's recovery.
When the chimney, without any warning, fell, the bricks came on the men's backs
and bore them to the ground. Hackett was struck just below the neck, while Linehan was
hit on the small of the back.
The Injured Firemen.
Hackett is 31 years of age and unmarried. He has been some years in the
department and has a good record.
Patrick J. Linehan is captain of No. 4 company and is 41 years of age. He has a
wife and three children. Linehan was among those who went down with the falling roof
of the Davidson theater, when eight firemen met death. He has been injured or overcome
by smoke at other fires.
Assistant Chief Clancy and the other Milwaukee firemen returned shortly after 1
o'clock this afternoon.
Acting Mayor Corcoran's Story.
Ald. Cornelius Corcoran, acting mayor of the city in the absence of Mayor Rose,
accompanied the fire engine from No. 4 to the fire last night, returning this morning. He
says it was a very lively blaze.
"Chief Foley came with the telegram from Port Washington asking aid. Michael
Dunn, George Porth, Henry Delaney, Peter Graves and I decided to go with them."
"When we got there, it seemed as if nothing had been done to fight the flames.
The Milwaukee men got right to work. An hour or so later the company from No. 10
arrived and the difference between the trained men from the city and the local fire fighters
was very noticeable. The fire jumped over a slip of water there, and when we left great
piles of lumber were glowing masses of live coals which will burn for a week to come."
The Pipeman of Engine Co. No. 4. Who Was Injured at Port Washington
Fire, Succumbs to His Injuries.
Michael J. Hackett, the fireman of company No. 4, who was injured at the Port
Washington fire early yesterday morning died at St. Mary's hospital at 2:30 o'clock this

Go up to Top of Page