Randall, Geo. A. / Illustrated atlas of Winnebago County, Wisconsin : containing outline map of the county, map of each township in the county, with village and city plats. Also maps of the world, United States and state of Wisconsin, together with other valuable information
Brief history of Winnebago County, Wisconsin, pp. -15 PDF (4.9 MB)
HISTORICAL SKETCH PAGE 15 Clayton.- Organic election held second Tuesday in April, 1849, in pur- suance of act of legislature passed March 21, 1849. Nepeuskun.- Set off from Rushford by act of county board November 17, 1849. Organic election held first Tuesday in April, 1850. Algoma.- Organized in pursuance of act of county board. February 5, 1850. Organic election April 5, 1850. Black Wolf.- This town was set off from Nekimi by act of county board November 14,1850. Organic election April,1851. Winchester.- This town was organized in pursuance of act of county board of November 11, 1851. Organic election April 6, 1852. Poygan.- This town was organized by act of county board November 11, 1852. Organic election April 5, 1853. Wolf River.-This town was organized under the name of Orihula in pursuance of act of county board of January 4, 1855. Organic election April 3, 1855. The name was changed to Wolf River by act of county board, July 6, 1855. Menasha.-This town was set off from Neenah by act of the county board January 6, 1855. This organic election was held April 3, 1855. County Officers - Members of Assembly. - 1848, Erasmus D. Hall; 1849, L. J. Townsend; 1850, Leonard P. Crary; 1851, Edward Eastman; 1852, Dudley C. Blodgett; 1853, L. M. Miller, Curtis Reed; 1854, Corydon L. Rich, George Gary; 1855, E. S. Welch. George Gary; 1856, John Annunson, L. B. Townsend; 1857, Philetus Sawyer, John Annunson, W. P. McAlister; 1858, S. M. Hay, William Duchman, W. P. McAlister; 1859, R. P. Eighme, John D. Rush, G. W. Beckwith; 1860, Gabriel Bouck, G. B. Goodwin, Geo. S. Barnum; 1861, Philetus Sawyer, Curtis Reed, Arminie Pickett; 1862, William E. Hanson, Michael Hogan, David R. Bean; 1863, William E. Hanson, Michael Hogan, Emory F. Davis; 1864, Richard C. Russell, Jeremiah Hunt, George S. Barnum; 1865, William A. Knapp, Nathan Cobb, William Simmons; 1866, William H. Doe, John Proctor, William Simmons; 1867, Henry C. Jewell, John Proctor, Milo C. Bushnell; 1868, Luther Buxton, George W. Trask, Milo C. Bushnell; 1869, Luther Buxton, Geo. W. Trask, James H. Foster: 1870, James E. Kennedy, William P. Rounds, James H. Foster; 1871, Russell J. Judd, William P. Rounds, Frederick A. Morgan; 1872, T. D. Grimmer, A. W. Patten, N. F. Beckwith, Alson Wood; 1873, Tom Wall, Thomas McConnell, Carlton Foster, Alson Wood; 1874, Gabriel Bouck, W. P. Peckham, Carlton Foster, Frank Leach; 1875, Asa Rogers, N. S. Robinson, Leroy S. Chase, Frank Leach; 1876, Tom Erick McArthur, Leroy S. Chase, Sydney A. Schufelt; 1877, Tom Wall, H. P. Leavens, Levi E. Knapp, Sydney A. Schufelt; 1878, James V. Jones, John Potter, jr., L. E. Knapp, Milan Ford; 1879, Millan Ford, John Potter, jr., William Wall, Hiram W. Webster; 1880. William Wall, S. M. Bronson, George H. Buckstaff, T. J. Bowles; 1881, Andrew Haben, A. H. T. Krueger, George H. Buckstaff, T. J. Bowles; 1882, E. P. Finch, Peter Vredenburg, Carlton Foster; 1884, Andrew Haben, C. B. Clark, Frank Challoner; 1886, J. B. McLaren. J. W. Tobey, Frank Challoner; 1888, C. W. Pratt, W. L. Miller, Caspar Schmidt. Senators.- 1853-4-5, Coles Bashford; 1856, John Fitzgerald; 1857-8, Edwin Wheeler; 1859-60, G. W. Washburne; 1861, H. 0. Crane; 1862, S. M. Hay; 1863-4, J. B. Hamilton; 1865-6, George S. Barnum; 1867, George Gary; 1868, William G. Rich; 1869-70, Ira W. Fisher; 1871-2, James H. Foster; 1873-4, Robert McCurdy; 1875-6, William P. Rounds; 1877-8, R. D. Torrey; 1879, Andrew Haben; 1880, J. B. Hamilton; 1882, Thomas Wall; 1886, George H. Buckstaff. Sheriffs.- N. P. Tuttle, September 6, 1847; M. N. Moulthrop, November, 1848; A. B. Cooley, in November, 1850; A. F. David, in 1852; John P. Gallup in 1854, Jeremiah Hunt, in 1856; Josiah Woodworth, 1858; C. R. Hamlin, 1860; Erwin Heath, 1862; A; J. White, 1864; A. B. Smith, 1866; J. S. Cavert, 1868; Josiah Woodworth, 1870; 0. P. White, 1872; Ebenezer Stevens, 1874; W. D. Harshaw, 1876; Frank Morgan, 1878; W. D. Harshaw, 1880; F. B. Morgan; 1882; Fred Burgess, 1884; Frank W. Follett, 1886; Fred Burgess, 1888. Clerks Circuit Court.- Edward Eastman was appointed by Judge A. G. Miller, January 12, 1848, and was followed by Dudley C. Blodgett, who was appointed by Judge A. W. Stowe, October 16, 1848. E. R. Baldwin was elected to the office at the general election, November, 1848; re-elected 1850 and 1852; Charles A. Weisbrod, in 1854; Jedediah H. Smalley, 1856; George Gary, in 1857 and 1858; W. G. Rich, in 1860 and 1862; H. B. Harshaw in 1864, retaining the position by successive elections, every two years, until his resignation, January 1, 1878, when T. D. Grimmer was ap- pointeed tothe vacancy, elected 1878 and re-elected until 1889, when he was succeeded by W.W. Kimball. 1. Judges of Probate or County Judges.-A. A. Austin was first elected November 7, 1848; Jedediah Brown, September 3, 1849, and May 6, 1850; Edwin Wheeler, May 29, 1852; Dudley C. Blodgett, September 3, 1853; Alexander P. Hodges, April, 1857 and 1868. In November, 1868, Mr. Hodges was elected state prison commissioner, when G. W. Washburn was appointed to fill the vacancy until 1865 (the term of county judge being four years), but on the fifth of April, 1864, Judge Washburn was elected judge of the tenth judicial circuit, and J. B. Hamilton was appointed to succeed him. In the meantime it was claimed that A. P. Hodges, having resigned in 1868, a new election should be held in April, 1862, and in ac- cordance with that belief of a few, Earl P. Finch and J. A. Bryan became candidates for the office. There were but few votes polled, of which E. P. Finch received the majority, but never qualified. J. B. Hamilton was elected in April, 1864, for a full term; George Gary, in 1869, who served until his resignation, April 1, 1882, when Joseph B. Hamilton was appointed to fill the term until January, 1886. He was succeeded by C. D. Cleveland, the present incumbent. District Attorneys.-The first district attorney was J. J. Barwick, elected November, 1848; J. B. Hamilton, 1850; Elbridge Smith, 1852; Edwin Wheeler, 1854; A. A. Austin, 1856-58-60; H. B. Jackson, 1861; A. A. Austin, 1864; H. B. Jackson, 1866; A. A. Austin, 1868-70; G. W. Burnell, 1872; A. A. Austin, 1874, G. W. Burnell, 1876-78-80; W. F. McArthur, 1882; Silas Bullard, 1884-86; Henry Fitzgibbon, 1888. County Clerks. - Geo. F. Wright was elected in 1843 and retained the office until 1848, inclusive; Silas M. White, elected November 7, 1848, entered Upon the duties January 8, 1849; William Dennison was elected in Novem- ber, 1849;, E. A. Rowley in November, 1850; J. H. Osborne in 1853-54; Wm. M. Greenwood in 1856-58; A. H. Read in 1860-62-64; 0. F. Chase in 1866, and was re-elected until 1887, when he was succeeded by J. P. Rasmussen, the present incumbent. Registers of Deeds.- Clark Dickenson performed the duties of register in 1843, although we find no record of election; Wm. C. Isbell was elected in September, 1844; S. L. Brooks in 1845-46; Henry Dickenson in 1847, but died before the expiration of his term, and his brother, Clark Dickenson, was appointed to the vacancy; elected, 1848-50; E. A. Rowley, 1852-54; Edgar Cronkhite, 1856; James H. Foster, 1858-60; Andrew Merton, 1862- 64; Robert McCurdy, 1866-68-70; William Gudden, 1872-74; Gunder Larsen, 1876; Carl Kraby, 1878; T. E. Looper, 1880; Wilhelm Spiegelberg, 1882- 84; A. Bareuther, 1886; John McCabe, 1888. County Treasurers. -W. W. Wright was the first county treasurer, elected in 1843, and again in 1844, succeeded by Chester Ford, elected in 1845; Edward West, 1846; Conrad J. Coon, 1847; F. F. Hamilton, 1848 and 1849; W. W. Wilcox, 1850; W. P. McAllister, 1858; Jonathan Dougherty, 1852 and 1854, but dying in March, 1856, Barna Haskell was appointed, and at the election the same fall was elected; J. M. Ball, 1858 and 1860; S. N. Bronson, 1862; James H. Jones. 1864-66-68; R. D. Torrey. 1870-72-74; Stephen Bowron, 1876;,L. W. Hull, 1878; J. W. Ludd, 1880-82-84; Peter D. Kraby, 1886-88. Schools. - Of the early history of the schools but little is known. It is remembered by some of the old settlers, however, that Miss Emeline Cook, afterward the wife of Henry A. Gallup, was among the first to open a school in Oshkosh. The date is fixed at 1841. It is probable that the first school taught in Neenah was about the year 1848. Menasha had a school soon after, and in 1855 Neenah had two schools attended by 151 pupils; while Menasha had a school population of 243, with three separate schools. In the town of Nepeuskun, A. B. Foster taught in a log school-house in section 8 as early as 1847. In the same year a log house was erected in Rushford, in which W. R. Manning was the first to assume the duties of teacher. In Winneconne, a school-house was built in 1848, and two years later a board shanty was erected in the Village,and the first school opened by William Mumbrue. Miss Amanda Hicks taught in the neighborhood of G. W. Gidding's, in Clayton, in 1850, and Miss Lizzie McClean, at Gillingham's Corners, Vinland, in 1849. In 1846, a school district which embraced a part of Black Wolf, Nekimi and Algoma was established, and a house built near the present site of the Boyd school-house. Miss Eliza Case was the first teacher. In the residence of Myron Howe in Omro, in 1848, Mrs. Abram Quick taught the first school. Mrs. George Beckwith taught the same year, as did Hannah Olin, in the Gilman Lowd neighborhood. It is probable that the first school was taught in what is now District No. 1, as early as 1847. In 1858, Mrs. Mary Hagers opened a school in Wolf River; Miss Julia Jordan taught in Poygan in 1853, and in 1848, Miss Kimball at Fisk's Corners in the town of Utica. School-houses are now located within convenient distances of all patrons, and the cities and villages are provided with graded and high schools, thus affording the children of Winnebago county with educational facilities unsurpassed by any portion of the state. Beside the high school, in Oshkosh is located the state normal school, and other schools of a private and denominational character. Churches.-The first religious meeting held in Oshkosh was by the Methodist Episcopals at the house of Webster Stanley, in 1841; Jesse Halstead preached the first sermon. A house of worship was, however, not erected un- til 1850. Perhaps the first organization was effected by the Congregationalists, which probably occurred in the village school-house in 1849. Rev. H. Freeman was the first pastor. St. Peter's Catholic church was probably or- ganized as early as 1850, when a small structure was erected as a place of worship. Trinity Episcopal church was organized early in the fifties. Bishop Kemper held divine services in Hamond's store as early as 1851. Rev. S. G. Gallahan was, perhaps, the first regular pastor. The first Baptist church was organized in the court-house, in 1854. Rev. C. S. Sanders was the first resident pastor. Rev. David Lewis organized the Welsh Congregationalist church, probably as early as 1849 Churches multiplied rap- idly, and at this time the following denominations are represented: Baptists, Methodist Episcopal, Calvinist Methodist, Catholic, Congregational, Episcopal, Evangelical Reform, Evangelical Society, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Union church. Neenah had no regularly organized church until 1847, when 0. P. Clinton organized a Congregational church. In 1848, a Presbyterian church was organized by Rev. H. M. Robertson. These two churches were united under the name of the First Presbyterian church, in 1870. The Methodist church was organized, in 1851, by Rev. W. H. Sampson. The Baptist was organized the same year by Peter Prink, and in 1867 the Baptist churches of Neenah and Menasha were united in a church on the Island. Rev. Wm. D. Christian organized the Trinity Episcopal in 1866. The Evangelical Association was organized in 1856, the Welsh Calvinists in 1848, the German Evangelical Lutheran in 1865, and the Universalist in 1866. The other denomi- nations are: Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran, Danish German Lutheran, Evangelical Lutheran (Trinity), Welsh Congregational, Danish Baptist, Seventh Day Adventists and Norwegian Methodists. In 1848, Rev. 0. P. Clinton conducted the first religious meeting ever held in Menasha. This was held in the log tavern. The Catholic church was organized in 1849 by Father Faranaticii, and a log church was erected. Father Vanderbrook had, however, preached at the Rapids some years prior to 1849. The two towns united, but separated in 1867. The first Congregational church was organized in 1851, and for two years worshiped in the schoolhouse. The Methodist church was organized in 1850; Universalist in 1866; German Lutheran, 1856; Episcopal, 1856; Methodist Episcopal, October, 1853. In the spring of 1850 a Presbyterian church was organized at Winneconne by Rev. Robinson, and the same year the Methodist, by J. C. Simcox. Religious services were held in Omro as early as 1847 by Rev. Sampson. Elder Pillsbury was among the first to preach in the village. Besides these there were, at a very early period in the settlement various religious services held; often in the primitive residences, sometimes in the primitive log school-houses; and as soon as the settlers had provided them- selves with homes the best church buildings their circumstances would af- ford were erected, and now splendid edifices may be seen, not only in the cities and villages, but in almost every country neighborhood. OSHKOSH PRESS. The Democrat-Courier-Journal-Northwestern.-The first paper in Oshkosh, the initial number of which was anxiously awaited by the people with great expectation of the value it would be to the town, an expecta- tion well founded, and one in which a community is rarely disappointed, was the True Democrat, which appeared February 9, 1849, bearing the names of Densmore & Cooley as publishers and James Densmore as editor. It was devoted to the free soil party. The citizens had advanced the money for the plant, and made contracts for printing, so that the enterprise was in good part a town affair. Densmore was managing spirit and Cooley attended to the mechanical duties. Eighteen months later Cooley secured the entire ownership, and soon sold to George Burnside and went to Mil- waukee. In about three months he returned and assumed the editorship, at which time it was announced that the paper would be independent in politics, and the name was changed to the Oshkosh Democrat. In 1853, Chauncey J. Allen took the place of Mr. Densmore, having purchased an interest. In July of that year Jonathan Dougherty, then a candidate for lieutenant-governor on the free-soil ticket, became a partner and business manager. Next March Mr. Allen withdrew, and a year later Martin Mitchell became the editor and manager. In August, 1856, the paper went over to the new republican party under the ownership of Mr. Markham and C. W. Felker. At this time a daily issue was started, and continued until Decem- ber, 1857, having been kept up, though at a loss, on account of the rivalry with the Daily Courier. In January, 1857, Markham sold to Charles G. Finney, jr., and in 1858, Mr. Felker sold his interest to B. F. Davis. George Cary became sole proprietor in July, 1860, but in October the paper was sold and merged in the Northwestern. This was one branch of the origin of the latter paper. The other was the Courier, the second leading news- paper of Oshkosh, started in June, 1852, by J. H. McAvoy, who soon sold to Jere Crowley, and the latter in August, 1853, to George H. Read and Charles R. Nevitt. They were able publishers, and the Courier became the leading democratic paper of the region. July 10, 1860, Read & Nevitt published the first daily, which was continued until December, 1857. While the daily was running, Marcellus Strong had taken the place of Nevitt, and in 1863 Hiram Morley and B. F. Davis became the proprietors, and ran the paper until August 12, 1864, when it was merged in the NorthWestern. In May, 1860, Mr. Nevitt had associated himself with D. C. Felton, F. C. Messinger, and C. H. Messinger, and established the Northwestern. May 18th was the date of the first number. October 1, 1860, there were, there- fore, three flourishing papers in Oshkosh. The Democrat was soon ab- sorbed and Nevitt and C. E. Pike became sole proprietors. A daily was started in January, 1861, but soon discontinued. In 1864, the proprietors of the Northwestern and George Gary bought the paper,and from then until 1870; Mr. Davis remained at the helm, with an occasional change of partners. October 13,1870, John Hicks and T. S. Allen, of Madison, bought the paper, and have since conducted it under the style of Allen & Hicks. In 1875 it absorbed the Oshkosh Journal, an excellent paper, started in 1868 by Rounds & Morley. The daily was re-established in 1868, and has ever since grown in attractiveness and public favor. In the great fire of April 8, 1875, the office was destroyed; while the fire was still raging, Gen. Allen started for a new outfit, and the city editor successfully got out at Fond du Lac that night, and delivered on the streets of the stricken city the next Morning, a daily issue, giving the particulars of the calamity, and the paper did not miss an issue. June 26, 1884, Col. Hicks became sole proprietor amd he has advanced the Northwestern to a high rank among the newspapers of the country, and made it the foremost republican paper of the state. Review-Democrat-Times.-A. P. Swineford started a democratic weekly, the Review, in the fall of 1862. It died in a year or so, and in 1864, R. V. Shirley bought the material, and started the Democrat. He succeeded mirably, but the fire of 1868 caught him without Insurance. He began anew, however, and in 1867 sold out to George Hyer and D.W. Fernandez, of Madison, who changed the name to the Times, and issued the first num- ber October 1st, 1867. The made the paper widely influential. On the death of Mr. Hyer in 1872, S. D. Carpenter of Madison became associated with the paper, and that fall, mr. Carpenter withdrew and Gus O'Brien be- came partner and the editorial writer until September 1874. The office was destroyed in the great fire, bat was soon revived by Messrs Fernandez and A. T. Glaze, and continued in their hands until about 1880, when 0. H. Bright of Waupaca purchased the interest of Mr. Glaze. Later, the paper went into the hands of E. W. Viall & Co., the present propietors. The Telegraph.-The first German paper in Oshkosh was the Anzeiger des Nordwesterns, established May, 1852, by Charles and Valentine Kohlman. The office was moved to Sioux City in the fall of 1854, but in the spring of 1858 the Kohlman brothers returned and started the Waechter am Winnebago, with Henry Cordier as editor. This was succeeded in October 1860, by a monthly magazine, Deutsche Volkblaetten, edited by Carl Rose. In October, 1866, this gave place to the Wisconsin Telegraph, a weekly paper, by the same publishers, and Carl Rose as editor. In 1885, there was a change of ownership, Gen. T. S. Allen assuming an interest, and the Telegraph now flourishes in the hands of Allen & Weidner. The Signal, a weekly paper, the prohibition party organ, was established in March, 1884, by Byron E. VanKeuren, who managed it until August 20, 1886. It was then published by Hull Brothers, and in February, 1887, it passed into the hands of M. B. McNeil, its present manager, and is know as the Signal Record. The Parish Record, a monthly paper, devoted to the interests of the Episcopal church, was established in 1885, and is edited and published by Rev. John W. Greenwood. In addition to the papers named above, which are now in existence, a number may be mentioned which are wholly of the past. The Winnebago Telegraph; established 1849 by Dr. B. S. Henning; sold; removed to Appleton, and destroyed by fire. The Delegate; establish as a whig organ August, 1850; sold to J. D. Hyman same year and changed to Republican; after a year removed to Fond du Lac. The Republican es- tablished January, 1861 by B. F. Davis; discontinued in May. The Transcript; March,1860; by T. A. Harney; merged soon in Beaver Dan Argus The Trade-Reporter; a monthly; by E. C. Atkinson; published during 1872. The Real Estate Bulletin and Trades Journal; by 0. H. Harris; May, 1872, to May, 1873. The Independent; by Kaime & Livermore; started in 1874; perished in fire of 1875. Greenback Standard; started in 1878 by Levy & Ryckman. Morley & Son purchased an interest and the name became the Oshkosh Standard. In 1879 the proprietors became Morley, Kaime & Waring, and it was afterward published by the Standard Publishing Co. for a time. A monthly illustrated journal, the Western Monthly Pictorial, was pub- lished six months in 1878, by Albert Norton, Mary J. Norton, editor. Eddie and Minnie Carhart, children of Rev. J. W, Carhart, published for several years, beginning May, 1876, an amateur weekly called the Early Dawn. Gustav Grahl started the Phoenix in 1855, and after two years removed to Dubuque, Iowa. In December, 1856, Theodore Frentz established the Deutsche Zeitung, which passed through the hands of Theodore Friedlander; was burned out in the fire of 1859, and after being started anew, was moved to Fond du Lac. NEENAH PRESS. The first newspaper at Neenah was the Conservator, issued May 21,1855, by Harrison Reed, and continued by him until 1858, when it was sold to B. S. Heath and removed to Menasha. It was republican in politics. Es- tablished at the same time was the Neenah Bulletin by W. H. Mitehell, which was, however, of short life. This was suceeded by the Democrat by D. Hyer. The next was the Island City Times, the press and material of which went to the Menasha Press at a later date. The Times, which was established by J. N. Stone, October 22, 1863. He conducted it until July 15, 1870, when he removed to Appleton, selling the office to Tapley & Rich. They changed the name to the Winnebago County Press, and the plant was soon afterward transferred to Menasha. The name of the Times was taken up and continued by Verbeck Brothers from 1871 or 1872 to Febru- ary, 1876, when their office was sold to Bowen & Maxwell, who dropped the name for that of the Teetotaller, under which title the business was discontinued in about eighteen months. Mr. Stone had meanwhile returned to Neenah, and since October 15, 1875, had published a paper under the title of the Neenah News. and as soon as the old name he'd established was at his command again, February 6, 1876, he adopted the title Neemah City Times, under which his paper still flourishes. The daily Times was; established in 1882. When the Winnebago County Press was removed to Menasha, a new paer was started in Neenah by Charles H. Boynton, the Gazette. In 1874 G. A.Cunningham became a partner of Boynton, and the next year became sole proprietor and editor, and so continued until a few days before his death in 1878, when he sold to H. L. Webster. The office was transferred to C. F. Cole in 1880, and in 1882, H. A. Stone became proprietor, and at present successfully conducts the paper as a republican weekly. Early in 1879, Frank S. Verbeck removed his printing office from Winneconne to Neenah, and started the Herald, which was discontinued in 1880. June 20, 1881, the Twin City News, daily, and weekly, dated at Neenah and Menasha, was established by Bowron & Potter, was afterward published by the News Publishing Co., and on October 20, 1884, it went into the hands of L. H. Kimball, its present able editor and proprietor. In 1881 the Neenah Bulletin was published by the state Grange but did not long continue. MENASHA PRESS. The pioneer was the Menasha Advocate, by Jeremiah Crowley in November 1853, democratic in politics. In 1857, the press and materials were sold to E. P. Morehouse, a deaf mute, who shortly didisposed of it. The Conservator, first published by Harrison Reed, in 1856, at Neenah, was in 1858, purchased by B. S. Heath, and removed to Menasha, where it was continued, and in 1860, Goodwin & Decker became the editors and proprietors. The Manufaeturer, started about 1860, by William M. Watts, survived about one year. The Menasha Press was first published at Neenah, by J.N. Stone Island City Times, later by Ritch & Tapley, as the Winnebago County Press. In 1871, it was purchasd by Menasha people, removed to that place _o rei and conducted by Thomas B. Reid, as the Menasha Press, until 1877, when it was sold to Geo. B. Pratt, who conducted it until 1881. It afterward passed through the hands of A. P. Dodge and L A. Cates. In the fall of 1882, the Press was purchased by C. F. Augustin, its present proprietor and publisher. His son, Chas. L Augustin, is editor. The paper is now known as the Saturday Evening Press, and is republican politically, The first German paper was the Menasha Post, started in 1871 by Mussans & Hein. It lived but about eighteen months The Winnebago Observer followed, first published in 1873, by John C. Klinker. In 1881, the Winnebago Anzeier was established by A. Fuhrburg, and theA0 next year went into the hands of Henry Cornelius, editor and publisher He began the issue, as a supplement, of the Hausschatz. It is now pub- lished as a democratic weekly by. M. M. K 8hoetz & Co., or the Anzeiger Pub- lishing Co. OMRO PRESS The Journal was established at Omro in 1865. In 1876, it passed into the hands of Kane and Wright, and in 1879, P. M. Wright bacame sole proprietor and editor, and so continues. In 1866 , the Omro Union was started and survived a few years. It passed through the hands of Carter & Hitter, and Chester Smith, and was suspended three years ago. WINNECONNE PRESS The Item was the first paper, published by Thomas McConnell, and established in 1871. It was short-lived. In 1883, the Enterprise was established, a an independent paper, conducted by O. D. Parks, and was continued until three years ago. The Local, an independent paper, which at present chronicles the doings of the day, was established in 1886. George H. Larke was editor and proprietor, and sold to R.R. Crowe, the present owner. The Badger Farmer, a monthly agricultural journal, was established in September 1886, by Harry A. Clum, and is now successfully conducted by the firm of H.A. Clum & Co.
Images may be copied by individuals for personal use, research or teaching purposes, or other "fair use" as defined by U.S. copyright law