Harney, Richard J. / History of Winnebago County, Wisconsin, and early history of the Northwest
City of Neenah, pp. 194-215 PDF (15.4 MB)
HISTORY OF WINNEBAGO COUNTY, WISCONSIN. son & Jamison, omnibus factory of G. Olds, Adam Ergot's Brewery, two brick yards and the various mechanic shops. MERCANTILE HOUSES OF NEENAH. Banks- One bank of issue, the National bank of Neenah. Dry Goods-The number of dry goods houses is eight. Some of these deal exclusively in dry goods and others in mixed merchan- dise, and several of them are spacious, well stocked establishments, doing a very large business. Drugs -There are four drug stores and some of them are elegantly fitted up. Hardware-Four hardware stores, large concerns, and well stocked. Clothing-There are three clothing stores, some of them in connection with merchant tailoring. Boots and Shoes-Two boot and shoe stores well stocked. Groceries - There are fifteen grocery stores, several of them fine establishments with large stocks and doing a good business. .Rewelry-Two stores in this branch. Musical Merchandise- One music store. Stationcry and Books - One stationery store. Agricultural Implements - Two houses doing business in this line. Furniture-Three furniture warerooms, carrying fine stocks. Flour and Feed-Two stores. Harness and Saddlery Hardware- Four in this line of business. Wholesale Liquor Storc-One establish- ment. There are in addition to the above, the pro- portionate number of millinery, confection- eries. tobacconists, bakers, meat markets, etc. For agents, professional men and names of all business and manufacturing firms, see classified business directory of Neenah in last pages. ILLUSTRATIONS. On another page will be found a view of the fine residence of Hon. A. H. F. Krueger. Mr. Krueger emigrated from Crivitz, Mecklen- burgh-Schwerin, to the State of New York in 1848, and resided there until the fall of 1850, when he moved to the town of Clayton, in this conntv, whelpre he cettlA on a tract of ne tsss - wuu , w1. .. II- -1 :Nt-u w1. a _ Wav -u 1 land, which he cleared and converted into a fine farm, and on which he resided eighteen years. In the fall of i868, he moved to Nee- nah, and in partnership with Mr. Stridde erected the Island City Flouring Mill, and has since that time been engaged in the milling business. The product of his mill averages two hundred barrels of flour per day. Mr. Krueger is regarded as one of the most prominent and public-spirited citizens of Nee- nah, and among the foremost in promoting public enterprises. He has served in several public capacities; first, as a school commis- sioner, which position he held for nine years; next, as one of the village trustees, then as alderman, under the city organization, during the years 1874 and 1875. In 1876, he was elected Mayor of the city, and again elected Mayor in 1878, and is now the nominee of his party for Member of Assembly. He was chiefly instrumental in securing the erection of the Schuetzen Hall, which gives Neenah a fine and capacious hall for public entertainments. He was also one of the most zealous and persistent of those who advocated the construction of the New High School build- ing, which is a credit to the city. Mr. Krue- ger is also noted for his generous benefactions to the poor and unfortunate, and for his readi- ness to aid all who merit assistance. It is such men who leave enduring monu- ments of their existence, and who, when they have passed away from the scenes of their earthly labors, linger in the memory as a pleas- ant recollection. Mention has already been made of the Rus- sell House, which is illustrated in this work. Mr. J. B. Russell, the enterprising proprietor, came from St. Lawrence County, New York, his native place, to the town of Clayton, in this county, in the spring of 1851, where he set- tled on a new farm, which he improved and on which he lived till i868, when he moved to the village of Neenah, where he has since resided. In Neenah he first engaged in the mercan- tile business, which he followed for six years. At the end of that time he purchased the Dol- sen House, a brick hotel on the present site of the Russell House, which he had taken down brick by brick, and in 1875, built the present elegant hotel, the Russell House. Mr. Russell is one of Neenah's most enterprising citizens, and a very popular landlord. He has fre- quently served in capacities of public trust, and is now City Superintendent of Schools, and the nominee of his party for Member of Assembly. Among the illustrations in this work is that of Tohn P -f-4 q' - Th.. A-.1bfl i 1 Ticl t 4it_ HI J --l -\~t . .)IIIC ...... 1. . I .-3UI~AL ful place has been mentioned in the general description of Neenah. It is the Governor Doty place, which Mr. Roberts purchased, and on which he erected, in 1877, the present fine hotel. It is now one of the most popular resorts in the country. The facilities for boat- 212 t 1879.
Images may be copied by individuals for personal use, research or teaching purposes, or other "fair use" as defined by U.S. copyright law