University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Oimoen, Otto; Skalet, Ethel; Grender, Albert O. (ed.) / Oisæther : Oimoen, Olson and Sather family album : histories, stories and pictures

Section I: Norwegian immigration: Ole and Anne Oisaether - stories, etc.,   pp. 6-13 PDF (3.2 MB)

Page 10

by Oscar Oimoen
Ole and Anna Oisaether were born in
Northern Land, Prestejeld, Norway. We don't
know the exact date of Ole's birthday but we know
the date of Anna. She was born in 1821 so it is
reasonable to expect Ole was born around 1820.
After they were married they got a job as
"hus-mann" (or renter it is called in this country)
on the Oisaether gard (farm) owned by Tore
Oimoen who owned two farms close by each other.
It was the rule or law that a land owner, when
he died, the oldest son inherits the farm, so Ole,
not having a father with a farm, had to be an
ordinary laborer or get a job working a farm. The
land owner in those days never did any labor to
amount to much, the work being done was done by
the "hus-mann".
There were really two classes of people in
Norway at that time, the well to do with property
and the other with out property who had little
chance acquiring any property.
Ole must have been a true and trusted
employee as he lived on this farm all his life 'till
he died there. Ole and Anna had nine children,
seven boys and two girls. As the children grew up
they became restless and started to think about
migrating to America. We don't know who made
the first move to come to America but we think
Christ (Kristian) or Andrew (Andreas) might have
come first.
They all came to Wisconsin over a period of
time. Christ (Kristian) settled near Mondovi in
Modena, Buffalo County, Wisconsin. He worked
around that area until he had saved up enough
money to make a down payment on a farm where
he spent most of his life. He retired to Modena in
his old age and there he and his wife are buried.
When Andrew (Andreas) came over he settled
in Arbor Vita, Wisconsin, Vilas County, where he
got a job in a pinery cutting logs for the saw mills
in Arbor Vita. After a few years in the forest he
was advanced to chief filer so the last years all he
did was file saws.
We don't know just when he moved to
Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he lived for a few
years, then he moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to
live with their son who was a doctor, not married.
When there, their son died so he and his wife
moved back to Minneapolis where he and his wife
are buried.
He was married twice. He called himself,
Andrew Olson, which was the correct way at that
time if your father didn't have a farm and was an
ordinary laborer, his son or sons just added son on
their dad's first name, hence Oleson, and a
daughter would be known as Olesdaughter. (By the
way, Christ called himself Oisaether but after
awhile he finally omitted the Oi and used plain
Saether (Sather). John, Ole, Iver, Martin and
Martinus used the name Oimoen).
Martin, after he came to Wisconsin, worked
around Blue Mounds area for sometime when he
bought a farm in Minnesota in the Red River
Valley near Moorehead. He farmed it for a number
of years, raising grain, mostly wheat. After he sold
the farm he went to Bode, Iowa where he owned a
butcher shop which he operated until he retired.
He was pretty crippled up and was hard for
him to get around so he came and stayed with his
sister-in-law, Mrs. Ole Oimoen until he died. He is
buried in West Blue Mounds Cemetery. He got to
be the oldest of his brothers, 88 years. He was
never married.
John (Johan) came to Wisconsin in 1871 to
the Daleyville area. He got to be called "Grubar
John" as he did so much of it. I was told this
story, to me (Oscar) by an Irishman out of
Ridgeway (80 some years old). John had taken a
job to grub five acres of woods for his father. One
morning when John went to work it started to rain.
John didn't come home and he didn't come home
for dinner and it got toward supper time and he
didn't show up so his father sent his sister to look
for him. She came running back and told her
father that John must have gone mad as he didn't
have any clothes on. He was digging for dear life.
So her father went to see for himself, where
he was, still digging and chopping. He asked John
why he didn't come home out of the rain. John
said, "You can't beat this kind of weather for
grubbing". So John went over to a stump and
pulled his clothes out, nice and dry! The Irishman
said it was unbelievable how much he had grubbed
When John got married he bought a farm. He
was also quite a horse man. He used to raise them
and they were big and beautiful! He was married
twice and is buried in the Perry Lutheran
Cemetery with his wives. He died at 79 years of
Ole came also to Blue Mounds area in 1880
and worked around for sometime until he got
married. As his father-in-law had hundreds of
acres of land he bought 200 acres from him and
built all new buildings. He built his house just like
the one he was born in in Norway. The barn he
built was the largest one around there anywhere at
that time.
He was quite often the first to try anything

Go up to Top of Page