University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Kimberly, James C. / The history of the Neenah-Nodaway Yacht Club of Neenah, Wisconsin: an account of yacht racing on Lake Winnebago from 1859 to 1957

Chapter 2: Yacht racing comes to Neenah-Menasha,   pp. 4-20

Page 5

racht Wacing Comes to ZAeenah 
Joubert brothers' Falcon; and two from the Neenah-Menasha area, 
Charles Doty's Mayflower and John Nugent's White Squall. The 
race started in a northeast gale, giving the advantage to the deep- 
ballast craft, and Green Bay carried off the cup and all the honors 
by capturing first, second, and third places. 
  But the year 1860 also saw South Carolina secede from the 
Union, and the ensuing war between the North and South pushed 
yacht racing into the background. Interest continued, however, and 
evidently some activity, for a Neenah yacht club is mentioned as 
having won the lake championship in 1863. This is the earliest 
reference found to a local club. Lloyd's Register of American 
Yachts gives the founding date as 1864. 
   After the war the Mayflower changed hands but remained in 
Menasha. Its new owner was Capt. Fairfield. The Falcon, built 
about 1860 for the Joubert brothers in Fond du Lac, was pur- 
chased first by E. W. Viall and Charles Riordan of Oshkosh and 
later by Charles May of Menasha. These two yachts kept com- 
petition lively at the northern end of the lake for some years. 
   In 1867 the Mayflower and Falcon competed in a match race that 
for public enthusiasm probably had never been equaled locally. The 
two owners, Capt. Fairfield and Charles May, were reputed to 
have laid a wager of $100 between them, and estimated side bets 
totaling a thousand to fifteen hundred more indicate the outside 
interest in the contest. Sailboats and other craft carrying spec- 
tators dotted the lake, and an excursion steamer, filled with ex- 
cited partisans followed the course. 
  The triangle to be sailed began at the Neenah lighthouse, 
crossed the lake southward to Stockbridge, then over to Garlic 
Island, and home, a distance of about twenty-five miles. The start 
was scheduled for nine o'clock. When the signal was given, the 
Mayflower was ready but the Falcon was not. Nevertheless Capt. 
Fairfield and his Mayflower immediately crossed the line and 
sailed away. By the time the Falcon left the lighthouse, the May- 
flower had made well over a mile out on the first leg of the course. 
But Capt. Wilcox, who had lately refitted the Falcon and was sail- 

Go up to Top of Page