The Valley of the Lower Fox: historical, descriptive, picturesque
Valley of the Lower Fox, pp. -
Governor Doty, pp. -
glowing descriptions of the beauty and fertility of the region he had visited, and gave such a pathetic account of the thousands of untutored savages who were living and dying without the blessings of relig- ion, that the zeal of the Jesuits was excited and they soon organized an expedition to establish mission stations in the far West. The first missionary sent to Wisconsin was Father Claudeus Allouez, who founded a mission and built a mission house on the present site of the village of DePere about the year 1668. Soon after this the French Government took formal possession of Green Bay and surrounding territory. About the year 1673 Father Marquette traversed this region on his voyage of discovery. In 1689 M. Perrot, commissioned by the Canadian Government, gained possession of Green Bay and established a fort on the west side of Fox River. The fur trade now began to assume immense proportions, the forests abounding in fur-bearing animals. In 176o the conquest of Canada by the English became complete with the surrender of Montreal, and the Fox River Valley region passed from French to English rule. The success of the American revolution put an end to English rule, but it was not until 1786 that this region was formally surrendered by the English. At that date the Fox River Valley contained only about fifty-six white persons and all these were embraced within five families, namely: The De Langlades the Grignons, the Brunettes, the Roys and the La Dukes. These were all of French origin or extraction. When the English garrison left, their places were not occupied by American troops until the year 1816. It is put down as a historical fact that the De Langlades and Grignons were the first permanent settlers of the Northwest. They came to Green Bay in 1745. "Pierre Grignon, Sr., was the grandson of Baron de Grignon, Governor of Bretagne, France; and of the daughter of Marchioness de Sevigne, whose name is familiar to the literary world. By his mar- riage to Miss De Langlade he became the father of nine children. One of these, Augustin Grignon, set- tled permanently at Grand Ka-ka-lin about the year 1799, though engaged there in the fur trade and transportation business some time previous." He entered largely into the business of that day, and was noted for his princely hospitality. Descendants of this pioneer are now living at Kaukauna. In 1766 Captain Jonathan Carver, of the English army, ascended the Fox River. Arriving at Doty Island he found the Indian town of the Winnebagoes. The tribe was ruled by a queen who re- ceived him with great civility and entertained him sumptuously during his stay. The town contained fifty houses. He found the land very fertile: grapes, plums and other fruits growing in abundance. The Indians raised large quantities of corn, beans, pumpkins, watermelons and tobacco. The Winnebagoes, or Men of the Sea, were a powerful tribe of Indians. Their name points to some act of migration across the great waters, but which ocean was referred to tradition affords no hint. They were of the Algonquin family and had established themselves on the headwaters of Green Bay many years before the visit of Nicollet, as they were then old in their habitation of the land. From them the beautiful lake received its name, while the river received its name from the tribe of Indians, or rather the consolidated tribes of the Sacs and Foxes. GOVERNOR DOTY. The name of James Duane Doty must always be associated with the Valley of the Lower Fox. In 1822 he received at the hands of President Monroe, the appointment of United States Judge, for this region o1 country. i-us circuit not only e an indefinite extent, as well as the norther Mackinaw, in 1823, then returned east and pleton. He brought his young bride imme In 1838 he was elected Territorial Delegate year he was appointed Governor of the Te to fill the office of Delegate, made vacý
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'