University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Sterling's Menasha, Wis. Directory, 1920-21
(1920)

Menasha,   pp. 37-38 PDF (609.7 KB)


Page 38


   Historic Sites In the City of
   Menasha and Near by Region
                 By Publius V. Lawson, LL B.
   In the city of Menasha, a statue bronze tablet 18x22, bolted
to a Winnebago Manitou boulder, set on the top of a concrete monu-
ment, twelve feet high, to commemorate the coming of Jean Nicolet,
the first white man in Wisconsin. Located at the park on Doty
Island, near the site' of the Winnebago village that Nicolet came to
visit. The inscription reads: "Near this spot landed 1634, first
white Ă½man in Wisconsin, Jean Nicolet, met the Winnebago tribe, held
earliest white council with 5,000 savages. Erected by City of
Menasha and Women's Clubs of Menasha, 1906." Unveiled Septem-
ber 3, 1906, at the Assembly of the Wisconsin Archaeological
Society.
   Old Ben, the revolutionary cannon, was one of those captured
from the British, either from Burgoyne or Cornwallis, and carried
to Detroit, where the British recaptured them in 1812. Retaken
the same war by Gen. Harrison. Carried to Mackinac Island and
thence in 1816 to Fort Howard. When the fort was abandoned in
1854, the cannon was given to the village of, Menasha It is the
only revolutionary cannon remaining in the West.
   The historic bell on the St. Mary~s Church premises, was pur-
chased in England in 1859, by the Congregational people, carried
all the distance to the village of Menasha by water. After the church
was sold to St. Mary's Society and burned, the bell was raised out
of the cinders in the basement and set up on a frame in the yard.
Constant contact of the hammer at one point on the bell, cracked it.
The bell is 61 years old.
   The old homes of Col. Geo. B. Goodwin, Capt. Joseph Keyes,
Rev. 0. P. Clinton, Judge John Bryan, Maj. Charles Doty, Col. Samuel
Ryan, Hon. John Potter, Hon. Curtis Reed, are all standing.
   The battle of the Raven, 1730, was fought near Washington
street. The Fox Fort stood on Hewitt's Hill. The Winnebago Fort
was on Dendo Island. The separating stream is now Garfield street.
The battle between these two nations lasted six weeks, until the
French Capt. Sier Marin arrived and took sides with the Winne-
bagos.' One morning a raven was seen to enter the Fox Fort, by
which sign Marin knew the Foxes had fled in the night.
   The stone lighthouse built by the federal government, 1856, at
the mouth of the river, was torn down by the ice floes on Lake
Winnebago in 1880.
   United States government land office located here from 1856 to
1884, disposed of half the state.
   Three panther mounds in the public park.
   Ancient Winnebago village site on Doty Island in rear of Lyall
Pinkerton home. The oldest Indian village in the United States.
This was the village of Glory of the Morning, where she married
Capt. Sabrevoir de Carrie, 1729-1760. Sires of the Decorah Chiefs.
This was also the home of Four Legs Winnebago Village, 1754 to
1832. It was the name of this village "Menasha," that named the
city.
   The Loggery, the log home of Gov. James D. Doty, 1845 to 1865,
still stands on Doty Island, on the premises of Ex-Lieut. Gov. John
Strange.
38


Go up to Top of Page