University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah

Youth organizations,   pp. 451-459 ff. PDF (2.8 MB)

Page 457

sin-Michigan Power Co.; this includes 145o acres along the Wolf River
north of the Menominee Indian Reservation. Camp Chicagami was
sold in 1939.
  Scouting has grown and continues to grow in the Twin Cities. It
includes today approximately I,OOO boys in ten Cub Scout Packs,
nine Boy Scout Troops, and four Explorer Units.
Submitted by Harold Sperka
Girl Scouting
THE Rev. Albert A. Chambers, rector of St. Thomas Episcopal
Church, organized the first Girl Scout troop in Neenah-Menasha on
November 1, 19,38. Miss Lucile Rusch was selected as leader for a
troop of 24 girls and Mrs. John R. Kimberly was responsible for secur-
ing funds in the community to sponsor the troop.
  By 1940 five troops were organized in the Twin Cities, working on
such projects as backyard playgrounds, rally days, hospital favors
and disposal bags for the hospital, collecting clothing for the needy,
and Girl Scout cookie sales. Plans for establishment of a Girl Scout
Council for Neenah and Menasha were under way. The National Girl
Scout Headquarters sent Mrs. Hazel Barber, field representative to
help organize the Council. Mrs. C. W. Nelson was elected chairman
of the steering committee and when the Neenah-Menasha Council of
Girl Scouts was chartered in March of 1941, she was elected first Com-
missioner. Serving with her on the Board of Directors were: Mrs.
John R. Kimberly, Deputy Commissioner, Mrs. C. G. R. Johnson,
Registrar, Mrs. S. N. Pickard, Secretary and Mrs. Horace DuBois,
Treasurer. Girl Scouting had grown to such an extent it was felt expe-
dient by the Council to employ a full-time paid Executive Secretary.
In October 1943, Miss Margaret Coles was employed to fill that posi-
   Camping up to this point consisted of overnights at the Boy Scout
camp on Lake Winnebago; however, the girls are now attending
established Girl Scout camps. The summer of 1944, 75 Twin City
girls attended Appleton's Chalk Hills Camp and 45 attended Apple-

Go up to Top of Page