University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

History of the Neenah-Menasha Visiting Nurse Association,   pp. 435-438 PDF (1.0 MB)


Page 437


VISITING  NURSE ASSOCIATION
this community. They preceded school, city and industrial nurses.
Through the years other services have been added to the all-important
bedside care: Child Health Centers, Mothers' Classes, Fathers' Class-
es, Dental Clinics, Loan Closet and Industrial Nursing. The VNA
Auxiliary is closely associated.
  History records that in the first fund-raising drive a butcher gave
soup bones to make broth in the homes of the ill!
  Miss Heinicke had a horse and buggy at one time-the horse
couldn't take the cold; Miss Heinicke did! Mrs. J. C. Kimberly later
donated the first car.
  In 1956, following the death of Mrs. Helen K. Stuart, Mr. J. C.
Kimberly offered to the VNA, Mrs. Stuart's former home at 403 East
Wisconsin Avenue, backed by an endowment of $Ioo,ooo to guaran-
tee proper maintenance and upkeep. With acquiescence of the city
authorities, this genercus offer was accepted in August, 1956, and this
valuable property became the headquarters of the VNA.
  Officers of the Association in 1957 are:
President-Mrs. R. L. Johnson
ist Vice President-Mrs. Fred Hollenbeck
2nd Vice President-Mrs. NV. B. Bellack
Secretary-Mrs. Gilbert Bayley
Treasurer-Mr. Clark Harris
Compiled by Mrs. R. M. Eiss
Visiting Nurse !Association M4uxiliary
IN 1933, when it became obvious that members of VNA were unable
to carry on all the work of driving for dental clinics and keeping the
nurses' supplies complete, the Junior Auxiliary was brought into be-
ing.
  The first meeting was held in January, 1933, and dues of $i.oo per
person were decided upon. Mrs. John Pinkerton was Chairman of the
group and Mines. John Wilterding, Stuart Thompson, R. H. Kuehm-
sted, R. McMillen, S. N. Pickard, K. Lawson, T. Gilbert, Miss Pau-
line DeWolf and Miss Dorothy Brown comprised the original com-
mi1 ttee.
437


Go up to Top of Page