University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

The 1950's,   pp. 143-[162] PDF (4.7 MB)


Page 144


A HISTORY OF NEENAH
contemplated expansion in the township of Neenah, and had, far-
sightedly, purchased acreage west of Highway 41. During 1955 a new
finishing plant was begun on this property, which came into operation
the following year. In 1956 ground was broken for a new office struc-
ture east of the finishing plant, which was completed and occupied in
1957.
  The Jersild Knitting Company moved into its new building on
First Street.
  The Manhattan Rubber Company, having outgrown its quarters
in the Hewitt building, built its new plant on Cecil and Matthews
Streets.
  A new office for Edgewater Paper Company ('52).
  Warehouse on Forest Avenue built by School Stationers Corpora-
tion ('52).
  Neenah Electrotype Corporation purchased its plant from Mara-
thon ('53).
  Entire interior of Hewitt Machine Company remodeled to ac-
commodate a new Farrell roll grinder and to give space to the Stowe-
Woodward Company ('54).
  Gilbert Paper Company rebuilt and enlarged its #3 machine ('54).
  Wisconsin Tissue Mills rebuilt its paper machine and replaced its
converting and storage buildings with a new structure ('s6).
  After ten years with the architectural firm of O'Connor & Kilham
of New York city, Frank C. Shattuck returned to his home town
during the summer of 1953 and opened an office at 174 East North
Water Street, under the caption Frank C. Shattuck Associates, Inc.
Associated with him in this venture is Melvin F. Siewert. The firm
has specialized in the design of college, church, residential and indus-
trial building.
  This decade of expansion in every phase of community life was
further punctuated by the Council of Social Agencies becoming a
member of the Community Chest ('Si) and in 1953 broadening its
name to Neenah-Menasha Community Council.
  The Optimist Club is added to the roster of Twin City service and
luncheon organizations.
144


Go up to Top of Page