University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

The 1940's,   pp. 123-[142] PDF (4.5 MB)


Page 136


A HISTORY OF NEENAH
Industrial Scrap and Salvage--J. Stone & Son
   In 1942 J. and Abe J. Stone purchased the property at 235 Main
 Street from Sam Pesitsky, who bought it from Mike Zizo and Jim
 John. Zizo and John were Serbians, who started the junk yard in the
 early '20s, when it was located at 204 Main Street.
   Jake Stone came to Neenah in 1911 from Paris, where he was for
 four years after fleeing from Russia. Arriving in Neenah, he borrowed
 $So from Jim Courtney and Bill Nudick and started the junk business,
 with working capital consisting of an old horse and wagon. Abe
 entered the business in 1928, after graduation from Neenah High
 School. Not only have they made a financial success of their business,
 but Abe, purchasing the former Greenwood property adjoining the
 Oak Street bridge, built an attractive home on the north end of the
 lot, overlooking the river.
 The Banks
   There were changes in the financial institutions also during the
decade. F. E. Ballister retired in 1944 as President of the First
National Bank of Neenah, after ;6 years of association with the
banking institution. He was replaced by J. Russell Ward. In Mr.
Ward, Neenah acquired not only a banker whose training had been
in the Harris Trust & Savings Bank of Chicago, but a civic-minded
citizen whose influence has been felt in many enterprises of the com-
munity. Two years later this bank increased its capital to $300,000,
and then, in 1949, underwent extensive remodeling, having its open
house in December of 1949.
  The same year that the war ended, the National Manufacturers'
Bank of Neenah increased its capital and surplus to $5oo,ooo, and a
year later established a Trust Department. It, too, had plans for ex-
tensive interior remodeling, which eventuated in a new structure to
house its Trust Department on the adjoining lot to the east.
Civic
  Within the city governmental activity during the decade, R. V.
Hauser was named City Clerk to replace the late Harry S. Zemlock;
136


Go up to Top of Page