University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

The 1940's,   pp. 123-[142] PDF (4.5 MB)


Page 132


A HISTORY OF NEENAH
Chamber at that time were: President, Walter Werner; 1st Vice
President, S. N. Pickard; 2nd Vice President, Rudolph Lotz; Secre-
tary, Don Colburn; Treasurer, Elmer Schultheis; Directors: Clark
Harris, Gus Kalfahs, S. F. Shattuck, Ed Christoph, Alvin Schmutz,
Otto Lieber, Vern Snyder, M. W. Schalk, and Robert Brooks.
Community Council
  The first meeting of the Council of Social Agencies was held in
Neenah in 1940, organized to educate and to promote sound health
and welfare projects for the betterment of the citizens of the com-
munity. It became a Community Chest agency in 195i, and two
years later changed its name to Neenah-Menasha Community
Council.
Significant QAdvances
  Neenah employees were going to work at the new offices and carton
factory addition of Marathon Corporation on River Street, Menasha.
  The same year the First Evangelical Church, on the corner of Bond
Street and West Forest Avenue, was remodeled and an addition built,
so that the parish was able to dedicate a "new" church upon comple-
tion of the work. This church, in 1946, was to change its name to
First Evangelical United Brethren Church, as the Evangelical and
United Brethren churches united.
  Among the highlights of 1941 were the purchase of the assets of the
Whitmore Machine and Foundry Company by the Marathon Cor-
poration, and the establishment of it as the company's machine
division; the liquidation of the debt of St. Margaret Mary Catholic
Church, Division Street, Neenah; the completion of the laboratory
building and water plant of the Bergstrom Paper Company, of
Neenah; the organization of Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran
Church, on the northwest side of Neenah, as a mission church of
Trinity Lutheran Church, located on Oak Street.
Industrial expansion
  There was some wartime industrial expansion, made possible be-
cause it contributed to the war effort. The J. W. Hewitt Machine
132


Go up to Top of Page