Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
The 1840's to 1860's inclusive, pp. 13-20 PDF (2.0 MB)
A HISTORY OF NEENAH Avenue and io6 North Commercial Street. The furniture department was conducted by W. H. Krueger, and was discontinued upon his death in 1940. The business now includes hardware, industrial sup- plies, appliances, housewares, sporting goods, toys and gifts. James Webb is President and Treasurer; Laura Barnett Webb (grand- daughter of the founder) is Vice President; and James Barnett Webb (great-grandson of the founder) is Secretary. Present address is lo7 West Wisconsin Avenue. The Cooper Trade Mr. Cunningham refers on page 86 of his history to Brown's Stave Works. This enterprise, started by Theodore Brown in i86o, is shown on an artist's perspective of Neenah in 1870. (See page .34.) It stood on the south side of the river just east of the present Oak Street bridge. Mrs. Dan Howman, a descendent of Theodore Brown, tells how her father, John Brown, and the late Henry Hoeper, learned the cooper trade back in the days when the manufacture of staves was one of Neenah's up-and-coming industries. First Paper Mill In 1865 we come to a pivotal turn in the industrial life of the village. Dr. Nathaniel Robinson, grandfather of Mrs. T. D. Smith, with five associates, started Neenah's first paper mill. Up to this point the power canal was lined with grist mills. From here in, flour milling gradually subsided, as papermaking took over. (This transformation is adequately covered by Cunningham.) "From the pieces of mosaic assembled by historians come the great murals which represent the progress of mankind." -HERBERTr HOOVER 20
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'