University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

The 1840's to 1860's inclusive,   pp. 13-20 PDF (2.0 MB)


Page 17


THE 1840'S TO 1860'S INCLUSIVE
Menasha Turner Society in 1862. It was this latter society that in
1862 built the still useful structure, known as Germania Hall. The two
societies (Turner and Germania) merged in i888 under the name
"German Unterstiitzungs Verein," later changed to "Germania
Benevolent Society."
,(audan Fields
  A second addition to Neenah's eventual park system came in 1856,
when the so-called Laudan Fields came into possession of the com-
munity. The legal record of this gift is somewhat obscure. For years
the property lay quite idle, but came to life as the city stretched south-
ward following World War II.
Yachting
  As the life of the settlement broadened, we note an early record of
yacht racing on Lake Winnebago, with Governor Doty's son partici-
pating in this sport in 1859. Five years later, 1864, the Neenah Yacht
Club was organized. From that day on yachting has passed through
many vicissitudes, finally emerging into the full-blown and democratic
sport now evidenced by a harbor so packed with sail and power craft
that it is difficult to find dockage and anchorage for all who desire to
enjoy the sport.
More Churches
  The first Episcopal service in the area was conducted in Menasha
in 1857. St. Stephen's parish was incorporated in 1859 and held their
first service in a new church edifice on First Street, Menasha, in i86I.
Trinity Episcopal was subsequently organized in Neenah through the
missionary efforts of the Menasha congregation. The habitat of the
Neenah congregation was a wooden structure built in 1869 at the
corner of East Franklin and Walnut Streets. The two parishes even-
tually combined to form the present St. Thomas Episcopal Church,
located at the junction of Washington Street, Menasha, and North
Commercial Street, Neenah.
  The middle '6os saw an influx of substantial citizens from northern
Europe, particularly from Germany, bringing with them their mother
17


Go up to Top of Page