Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
The 1840's to 1860's inclusive, pp. 13-20 PDF (2.0 MB)
THE 1840'S TO 1860'S INCLUSIVE The first duly constituted church came into being in April 1847, when twelve persons from the twin settlements presented letters from eastern Presbyterian and Congregational churches and formed a church loosely affiliated with the Congregational communion. They met in a log structure on East Doty Avenue. On December 15, 1848, this congregation voted to become the First* Presbyterian Church of Winnebago Rapids. This early church, then, is the source from which sprang the present First Presbyterian Church of Neenah. Three years later, in 1851, the Menasha members withdrew and established the First Congregational Church of that city. In the year 1848 a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church, shep- herded by an itinerant pastor, was established. This little congregation worshipped in what was called the "Brick Church," located on the corner of Division and Chestnut Streets. This brick structure is pres- ently owned by Henry Kemps and has been skillfully incorporated into a comfortable home with entrance at 6oo Chestnut. The exterior has been stuccoed and painted an artistic green. This Welsh congrega- tion persisted until the turn of the century, when they disbanded and their membership united with other congregations. Another Welsh church, affiliated with the Congregational denom- ination, came into existence in 1861, with a meeting house called the "White Church" on East Columbian Avenue, near Pine Street. This congregation, like its predecessor, continued until the first decade of the 2th century, when its membership disbanded and joined other communions. Early Neenah owes much to its sturdy Welsh pioneers. Oak Hill Cemetery It was in this early decade (1849) that Harvey Jones, who initiated several forward-looking plans for this locality during his brief life here, donated five acres for a cemetery. This was the core around which Oak Hill Cemetery developed. Little did he dream when he made this gift that his body would be among the first to be interred there. Menasha Wooden Ware Companry The pioneer industry of the Twin Cities, and one that has come down from 1849 to the present, is the Menasha Wooden Ware Con- pany. At that time Menasha was on its way to becoming a settled com-
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'