Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
The Cunningham era in perspective, pp. 3-11 ff. PDF (2.8 MB)
THE CUNNINGHAM ERA main body of the island, with a thin strip on the northeast corner left for Menasha. Thus, it becomes easy to follow the thinking of citizens and legislators of that day. It is obvious that a half section line was projected from west to east across the island, with approximately half of the land area passing to each community. This was, of course, be- fore there was a Nicolet Boulevard. There was, however, a wagon road cut through the bush to connect with a bridge built by Neenah in i851 and with Menasha's bridge from Tayco Street to the island, built in 1852. This wagon road later became Neenah's North Commercial Street and Menasha's Washington Street. At some later date this original east-west dividing line was moved ioo feet south. This new line, which eventually became the center line of Nicolet Boulevard, extended from Lake Winnebago to the center of what was then Cedar Street (now North Commercial). From this point the dividing line jogged north ioo feet along the center of Wash- ington Street, thence west along the original half section line to Little Lake Butte des Morts. Thus, the present division of the island is not along a straight line from east to west between the two lakes, but rather a line with a ioo foot jog at the junction of Neenah's North Commercial and Menasha's Washington Streets. The Central Brass Company finds itself on this half sectional line, with a corner of their building in Neenah and the main body of their plant in Menasha. The dividing line comes in through an east window and out a south door! Significance of the Fox River The importance of the Fox River flowing out of Lake Winnebago and into Green Bay cannot be overestimated as one contemplates the life of that day. The waters of Green Bay are 163' below the level of our lake. To make the river navigable for cargo-carrying boats, locks were necessary. Later the Federal Government took over, but during the 1840's, the matter of locks was up to private enterprise. The big question was, where should the first lock be located, on the Neenah channel or in the branch of the river flowing through Menasha? At a hearing in 1849, before a Federal Commission meeting in Oshkosh, Harvey Jones, speaking for the Neenah group, offered to build the lock 9
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'