University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Green, Joy Martinson / Malone School : District No. 2, Springdale Township, Dane County, WI : a compilation of memorabilia
(2006)

Gleanings PDF (920.7 KB)


From the Mount Horeb Times - March 19, 1908
Schoolhouse and Site for Sale.
School district No. 2, Town of Springdale, having built a new schoolhouse, now offers
the old schoolhouse and site for sale. The schoolhouse is a frame building, 20x24 feet, one
story high, with an entry, 8x10 ft. The site consists of one half acre of good land, situated on
the Mt. Vernon, Mt. Horeb highway, about four miles from Mt. Horeb and is generally
designated as the Malone school.
The district will sell this property to the highest bidder, reserving the right to sell the
building and the site separately.
There will also be sold at the same time and place an excellent heating stove with drum
attachment, a bookcase and other articles.
To be sold Thursday, March 26th, 1908, at 2 p.m.
School Board:
John Schneider, Director,
J. S. Donald, Clerk.
T. Martinson, Treasurer.
From the Mount Horeb Times - April 9, 1908
District School Jubilee
On last Saturday the school district commonly called the Malone district had a grand
jubilee and feast in honor of their accomplishment in the completion of their new and elegant
school building. The day was a model spring day and a large number of people turned out to
take in the doings. Prof. Charles Harper, chief clerk of the state superintendent's office was
the forenoon speaker. Dinner was served by the young ladies of the district and was
pronounced a good one. Prof Commons of the State University spoke in the afternoon, also
Rev. Gunderson. The Mt. Horeb male quartette furnished several of the their best musical
selections and was liberally applauded. The members of the Springdale town board were
present as well as school boards from neighboring districts within the town. The building
committee consisted of J. S. Donald, Torkel Martinson, John Schneider, H. J. Bang and Lewis
Dahl. Mr. Bang in behalf of the committee made a financial report which showed the total
cost of the building to foot up to $2,850. The district is to be congratulated on having one of
the finest country school buildings in the county.
From Centennial History, Township of Springdale, Dane County, Wisconsin 1848-1948
by Amelia I. J. Pope (page 51)
The first school house built in Sec. 29, District No. 2, known as the Malone school, was
built in 1858, and stood on the site west of the James Malone home, across the road from the
present school house, which was built in 1944.
From This is Dane County, Wisconsin by John Drury 1957
(There is an ariel photograph of the building with this caption)
Malone School                             Rt. 1
Mrs. Gilbertson (Teacher)                 Built 1910
Mt. Horeb            Sec. 29              1 acre


Go up to Top of Page