University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin lumberman, devoted to the lumbering interests of the northwest
Volume III. Number 6 (March, 1875)

Chippewa Dalles. End of the fifteen years' struggle regarding the improvement,   pp. 480-482 PDF (1.1 MB)


Page 480


hlae Waconsd Lumberm
CHIPPEWA DALLES.
End of the Fifteen Years'
Struggle Regarding the
Improvement
Immense Beneflts to Accrue to Eau
Claire from the Enterprise.
A Booming Capacity for Two Hun-
dred Million Feet of Logs.
[Fromthe Chicago Times.]
EAU CLAIRO, Wis., March 15.-This
enterprising little city, situated on the
Chippewa river at its junction with the
Eau (lair, is the most prosperous inland
city in the state. It is at the head of
navigation on the Chippewa, and is com-
posed ofthree towns, viz.: North, East
and West Eau Claire, incorporated under
the name of
EAU CLAIRE CITY.
North Eau Claire is situated on the
point of land between the two rivers just
above their junction. last and Wcst
Ean Claire are situated just below the
junction on opposite sides of the river.
The three towns are connected by bridges.
The situation of Eau Claire is highly
picturesque  and  heathful. Its public
huildings are very commodious and are
' built in good style, and it has sonsiderable
manufactures. The city is connected with
a very extensive back country, which is
well adapted to agriculture, although
that  interest  is  not   very   well
developed as yet. The building of the
West Wisconsin railroad, which passes
through the city, has been a material ben-
efit to the agricultural interests. In 1857
the spot where the city now stands was a
mass of underbrush. Where now is heard
the busy hum of machinery and the rush
and bustle of manufacturing life, all was
silent save the occassional croaking of a
bull-frog, or the mournful call of the whip-
or-wilL. Few would at that time. have
believed that it would ever attain to its
present importance.
The market is 3lways good. The immense
number of men and teams employed during
the winter months in the adjacent pineries
creates a demand for farm produce that in-
sures a home market. At two different
times has the fire-fiend visited this city,
and each time the fairest and best part of
the business portion has been destroyed;
but with characteristic energy and enter-
prise it has been re-built with a better 31ass
of buildings than those destroyed.
Seven churches and four school-houses
speak well for the intelligence and enlight-
enment of the place.
The United States land office, which is
located here, serves to bring thousands to
to this point who wish to locate govern-
ment lands
It would seem to be an inevitable necess-
ity that the machine shops of the West
Wisconsin railroad shall eventually be lo-
cated at this place, presenting, as it does,
advantages and facilities possessed by no
other point on the road. The population
now numbers about 12,000, and is rapidly
increasing as new interests develop and as
capital accumulates.
THE LUMBER INTEREST.
The Chippewa river has its sources in a
great flat region which is made up of
swamps, crossed here and there by ridges
densely covered with pine, which pine
forms the great wealth of the Chippewa
valley. It is estimated that there are at
least 2,000,000 acres of pine land on this
river and its tributaries that will average
5,000 fet of merchantable pine to the acrm,
thus giving an aggregate of 10,000,000,000
feet.
In this city and immediate vicinity there
are 26 steam saw-mills engaged in the
manufacture of lumber, shingles, lath, etc.
During the season of 1874 these mills man-
ufactured and rafted down about 2,000,000
feet, board-measure, 50,000,000 shingles,
35,000,000 laths, and 7,000,000 pickets.
For a number of years back the ingenu-
ity and energies of the lumbermen have
been directed to improving the facilities
for holding logs in sufficient quantities to
keep their mills running the year through.
In high water many of the piers and
booms are swept away, carrying with
them the entire stock of logs for the sea-
son's sawing. The only safe and feasible
plan to do this is what is termed
THE DALLES IMPROVEMENT.
Just above the city the river makes a
bend of some four miles in length in the
form of a horse-shoe. At the lower point
of the shoe it breaks through a sandstone
ledge, which is called the Dalles. The
proposed improvement contemplates the
cutting of a canal 30 feet in width and
half a mile long, from one point of the
horse-shoe to the other, for the passage of
rafts and purposes of navigation, and of
4803


Go up to Top of Page