Kinney, Thomas P. / Irish settlers of Fitchburg, Wisconsin, 1840-1860
Notes, pp. 91-96 PDF (3.1 MB)
and the Lakes; this route is becoming a greater favorite than the one by way of Galena and the rivers." Milwaukee Courier (October 26, 1842). The article is referring to Galena, Illinois, and presumably the Fever and Mississippi rivers. 21. Road from Whitewater to Mineral Point, Map; Dane County, Map (New York, Horace Greeley and Co., 1855), SHSW; August Ligowsky, "Primrose," "Springdale," "Verona," Map of Dane County, Wisconsin (Madi- son, Wisconsin, 1861). 22. "Road from Madison to Janesville," Local Acts of the Legislature of Wisconsin, 1838-39, no. 19 (Milwaukee, Wisconsin Ter., 1839), p. 20, SHSW. One of the roads described by the act was to begin near the Old Military Road's seventy-five mile post, which was probably in the vicinity of today's Mount Horeb. 23. H. A. Tenney, "Madison," J. Park, ed., Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County, and Surrounding Towns (Madison, Wisconsin, William J. Park and Co., 1877), p. 552; Fox and Vroman, pp. 450-451. 24. 1. A. Lapham, The State of Wisconsin, Map (Milwaukee, Wiscon- sin, I. A. Lapham, 1850), SHSW; Ligowsky, "Verona," Map. 25. "Road from Madison to Freeport," Acts of the Special Session of the Legislature of Wisconsin Territory, 1838, no. 29 (Burlington, Wisconsin Territory, 1838), pp. 355-356, SHSW; Plat and Minutes of Survey of Alter- ation in the Road from Madison to New Mexico, Map (Dane County, Wiscon- sin Ter., 1842), DCLRR; Dane County, Map (1855). 26. Fox and Vroman, p. 448. 27. Tract Books, p. 60; Road from Madison to New Mexico, Map; Fox and Vroman, p. 457. 28. Tract Books, p. 60; Fox and Vroman, p. 457. The brothers George, William, and Joseph Vroman moved on the land in the fall of 1839. In 1840, Joseph married and brought his wife Mary to the farm. She was the first woman of European descent to live in Fitchburg. Butterfield, p. 1259. 29. Wisconsin Herald (June 10, 1848). 30. The lead diggings were located in the west one-half of the south- east quarter of the northeast quarter of section 31 in the Town of Verona. This Fritz Road parcel is currently owned by Walter F. Batker. 31. Fox and Vroman, p. 448; Oregon Centennial, p. 45. 32. This stretch of the lead trail, which is now overgrown with weeds, can be found on the east side of the northwest quarter of the north- west quarter of section 28 in Fitchburg. Efforts to find remnants of the lead trail have been made by using aerial photos. They are on file at Fitchburg City Hall. Town 6N.-R.9E., Aerial Photographs (Dane County Regional Planning Commission, 1980). 33. Wagon ruts of this lead trail can be seen in a wood lot located between Shady Bend Road and County M in the Town of Verona. Refer- ence-Richard Doerfer, Verona township, Wisconsin. This lead trail proba- bly developed after the main Verona-Fitchburg-Oregon lead road because it was not mentioned in a pioneer's description of the area roads as they existed in 1842. Fox and Vroman, p. 448. Information was gathered from a map of County M. The road started from a point in the Runey's tavern-to- Madison road and went west to Vromans' and Wheeler's Mill. Minutes and Plat of Survey of County Road from Road from Runey's to Vroman and Wheel- er's Mill, Map (Dane County, Wisconsin Ter., 1844), SHSW. 34. Miller, Survey Plat Maps. The Indian Trail left the path of today's Fish Hatchery Road to go around the west side of the hill where the Byrnewood housing development is located. The 1861 plat map shows two log cabins located approximately where the Indian trail was in section 16. Ligowsky, "Fitchburg," Map. 35. "Road from Madison to Big Foot Prairie," Local Acts of the Legisla- ture of Wisconsin, 1838-39, no. 9, pp. 12-13; Field Notes of Territorial Road from Madison to Bigfoot Prairie via Hume's Ferry on Rock River, Map (Dane County, Wisconsin Ter., 1839), DCLRR; M. G. Davis, Wisconsin Highways 1835-1945 (Madison, Wisconsin, 1947), pp. 223-224; Fox and Vroman, p. 450. Janesville was an important link between Madison and Chicago because a ferryboat operated by a man named Jane transported wagons across the Rock River. Janesville was named for its first ferryman. 36. Ibid., p. 449-450. A third Indian trail went from the site of an Indian village on the west side of Lake Kegonsa through section 36 in the southeast corner of Fitchburg and on to Belleville. 37. Seventh Census of the United States, 1850, Dane County, Wisconsin, Population, p. 257. Despite much research, the nation(s) from which Quiv- ey's ancestors came have not been determined. On the other hand, a New York Quivey family that may have been related to William Quivey came from Scotland. Tenth Census of the United States, 1880, Wayne County, New York, Population, Volume 102, Enumeration District 117, p. 18. 38. Mrs. Frank Dreher, "The Old Lead Trail," Oregon Observer (1941), article on file at the Oregon Historical Society Archives; Oregon Observer Centennial, p. 7. Quiveys lived in Fitchburg according to 1850 census, p. 257. 39. United States Post Office Records, nos. 204, 287, 295, 332, 450, 628 (Washington, D.C., 1920), SHSW. The Fitchburg Post Office was established August 26, 1842, with William Quivey as the first postmaster. 40. Oregon Centennial, p. 54. 41. Ibid. 42. Fox and Vroman, p. 459. 43. Journal of the Board of Supervisors of Dane County (Madison, Wis- consin), SHSW. 44. "Abstract of Special Election of May, 1843," Dane County Clerk: Election Records 1837-1867, Dane Series 36, SHSW.
Copyright 1993, 1998 Thomas P. Kinney