University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Kinney, Thomas P. / Irish settlers of Fitchburg, Wisconsin, 1840-1860
(1993)

Fitchburg in the 1990s,   pp. 74-78 PDF (2.2 MB)


Page 77

The McCoy House, located on Syene Road near the intersection with Clayton Road, is an Ital-
ianate brick home that was built during the years 1857-1861 and was first owned by the McCoy
family in 1893. The cupola was built so that supervisors could oversee workers in the fields
below. The Tony and Mickie Schmudlach family purchased and restored the vacant house in the
early 1980's. Photo taken in 1990.
In recent years, the Gorman family has succeeded in pre-
serving a nineteenth-century one-room schoolhouse, which
some of the Irish children once attended. Fish Hatchery School,
built in 1873, was located a half-mile north of the old Dogtown
stagecoach stop at the intersection of Fish Hatchery and Lacy
roads, and was nicknamed "Dogtown School."'148 In the late
1980's, the dilapidated schoolhouse was obstructing an expan-
sion of Fish Hatchery Road. On behalf of McKee Farms which
owned the site, Lyman McKee gave Dogtown School to the
Gary and Kevin Gorman families who moved the building to
their property on Whalen Road a half-mile east of the intersec-
tion with Fish Hatchery Road. The schoolhouse has been
restored to its original appearance.
The McCoy House is another building that has been reno-
vated in the 1980's. McCoys were farm laborers in 1860 accord-
ing to the census. They eventually bought the large house at
the Hiestand tobacco farm on Syene Road, north of the Irish
Lane area. A descendant, Elizabeth McCoy, who became a
world famous biochemist and worked at the University of Wis-
consin, lived in the old house from 1949 to 1978. After her


Go up to Top of Page