University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Somerset, Wisconsin: 125 pioneer families and Canadian connection: 125th year
(1990?)

[Rosalie Parnell's book on Somerset, Wisconsin],   pp. 11-64 PDF (24.6 MB)


Page 31

MARINE MILLS
Marine Mills was the next town to come into existence after
St. Croix Falls. iLewis Judd and David Howe were appointed by a
company of men residing in Marine, Illinois to visit the northwest
and examine the region recently secured from the Ojibways.
The Steamer Areil left St. Louis September 10, 1838, and in
twenty-five days reached the head of Lake St. Croix. They proceeded
to the mouth of Kettle River and returned by canoes (birchbark)
reaching Marine Mills, Nov. 10 and reporting their location of
claims at Marine, Minnesota. During the winter a company of thir-
teen men was founded to start in the spring and build a mill on the
distant St. Croix River, April 27, 1939. This company left St.
Louis on the steamer Fayette for the new settlement, which they
reached May 13, 1839. They brought mill machinery, farming imple-
ments, household goods, three yoke of oxen, and some cows.
They set to work immediately building log cabins as temporary
shelters. They all worked with such vigor that it was finished in
ninety days. It was a small tributary of the St. Croix River and
was run by another shotwheel with buckets.
Orange Walker was first clerk and chieftain of the concern.
When anything was wanted they would notify company and members would
assemble. No articles of agreement existed. Only one book was
kept for a series of years (a unique affair no doubt) but within
two years the company became self sustaining and no partner for-
feited his stock.
Its name was the Marine Lumber Company which in 1850 was
changed to the Judd and Walker Co. The first mill to manufacture
lumber in St. Croix Valley began in 1839 continuing under different
names until 1889. In fifty years the gross cut of lumber was
197,000,000 ft. All the thirteen owners have long passed awa
This picture
added,not in
R. Parnell's
book.
Charles Mars
at anvil.


Go up to Top of Page