Somerset, Wisconsin: 125 pioneer families and Canadian connection: 125th year
[From book "History of northern Wisconsin" printed in 1881 by Western Historical Company of Chicago], pp. 5-10 PDF (4.1 MB)
HISTORY OF ST. CROIX COUNTY. FRANZ M.ESMER, Somerset; came to America July 3, 1880; was educated in Munich at the Seminary, a business collegc; followed milling while in Germany, running his own mill in Ba- varia; landed in New York City, where he remained for a few days; went from there to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained a few days; thence to Milwaukee for two weeks; thence to Winona in a flouring mill; then to Minneapolis, in the Crown Roller Mill for eight months; thence to Somerset, and engaged in the manu- facture of flour, doing both a merchant and custom business; the mill has a capacity of sixty barrels per day; married July 19, 1875, to Miss Therese Kircher, of Bavaria; they have two chil- dren-Franz and Otto; his father is a Superintendent of Roads, Rivers and Buildings in Bavaria ; has held the office for the last forty years, and now receives a pension from Bavaria; Mr. Moes- mer was a soldier in the Bavarian Army; was Lieutenant in the army : was in the battle of Sedan ; in active service three years. FRANK X. MONTBRIAND, Somerset; was born in Lower Canada, Sept. 20, 1856 ; lived with his parents twenty-one years; then went to Buffalo, N. Y., for seven months; came to Eau Galle Mills in 1857, where he remained for two years; thence to Stillwater, Minn., for a short time; then to Somerset, and bought a farm of 155 acres of the Government, on which he now lives and built a blacksmith shop, and in about two years went to the flour mill, working nights in the mill and days in the blacksmith shop. Was married in January, 1853, to Mary Ann Parent; they have nine children--Edward, Amelia, Soulia, Emily, Roslia, Frank, Alexander, Ellen and Alfred. He built the first black- smith shop in the village of Somerset, and built the second house in the village; was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors in 1857 ; also Side Supervisor for four years. THOMPSON NELSON, Somerset; was born in Mason Co., Va., in 1811, where he remained for twenty-two years, farming; moved to Wabash Co., Ind., and remained for about twenty years, fArming; came to Somerset in the fall of 1854, and located where lie now lives; at that time it was a wilderness ; his nearest neigh- bor was in the village of Somerset, six miles distant, where he got his supplies, doing most of his trading at Hudson, twenty-two miles, and sixteen miles to Stillwater, going with oxen, taking two - days to make the trip, taking loads of deer to both places, and getting good prices; has been Town Clerk and Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for several years, and member of the Board for nine years; three years a member of the County Board; also, Overseer of Highways for several years. Nlarried in 1833, Miss Mary Ann Greenlee, of Virginia; they have five children-James C., Susan, John G., Mary F. and William T. CHARLES PARENT, Somerset, was born in Quebec, Can- ada, April 12, 1855. Worked on farm until twenty-three years old; learned the wagon-maker's trade and followed it for two years. Went to Oswego, N. Y., and worked on a farm; thence to Detroit, Mich., and worked at his trade for five and a half years. Came to Somerset in May, 1856, and twelve years ago came to his present home, locating where lie now has 520 acres. Was'married in September, 1S69, to Mrs. Angeline Parent. They have seven children--Mvry, Della, Joseph, Charlie, Rosalie, Addie and Alfonzo. He owns a steam threshing machine, and, with his active boys, he threshes a large amount of grain each year. JOSEPH PARENT, Somerset, was born in Three Rivers, Canada, Oct. 10, 1816. Was engaged in farming. Came to Somerset in 1850, and located his farm of 160 acres. Was mar- ried in June, 1863, to Miss Bridget Ring. They have no chil- dren. Mr. Parent states that the "Otter" was the first steam- boat run on the St. Croix River, Capt. Harris, Commander. THOMAS PARNELL, Someret. Born in Canada East, District of St. Francis, April 21, 1818, and engaged in farming until he came to Somerset in i852. At that rime there was but one house in the town, now occupied by David German, who then lived two miles distant. There was not a surveyed road in the town, and all his traveling was done by marked trees. He brought all his supplies on his back from 'Hudson, a distance of twenty- two miles. Has been Chairman, of the Board of Supervisors for several years, Clerk of the district school five years,. and Director two years. Was married Jan. 24, 1848, to Miss Angeline Parent. They have seven children-William, Oliver, Frederick, Elizabeth, Lawrence, John and Mary. DANIEL PHILIAPS, Somerset. Was born in Rochester, Wis., Dec. 28, 1848. Lived on a farm until sixteen years old, when he learned the trades of carpenter, joiner and mason; has worked at the trades about eleven years. During this time, he worked two years in La Salle Co., Ill., six years iu Iowa, and the balance of the time in St. Croix Co., and is conceded to be one of the best mechanics in this part of the State. Is not married. JERRIE REVORD, Somerset, is a native of Canada. Came to Somerset in June, 1855, and located where he now lives. Owns 180 acres. Was married in April, 1860, to Miss Mary Martell. They have twelve children-Jerrie S., Francis D., Louis N., Israel, Adelphus, Jerry R., Joseph N., Mary L., Mary E., Mary R: and Mary. Pages 5 to here from book "History of Northern Wisconsin" printed in 1881 by Western Historical Company of Chicago. See page 44 for more information about the Plaster Doctor J. Till.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright