Somerset, Wisconsin: 125 pioneer families and Canadian connection: 125th year
[From book "History of northern Wisconsin" printed in 1881 by Western Historical Company of Chicago], pp. 5-10 PDF (4.1 MB)
HISTORY OF NORTHERN WISCONSIN. urer of a district in Somerset for eighteen years, and Supervisor of his town five years. BRIG. GEN. SAML. HARRIMAN, Captain of 13th Wis. Vols., commissioned by Gov. Salomon, Aug. 25,1862; enlisted asa private June 10, 1862, in Co. A, 30th Wis. Vols., and on the organi- zation of the company was made Captain, which position he held until he was promoted for gallant services. Feb. 7, 1864, he was appointed Colonel of the 37th Wis. Vols., which he gallabtly led to victory on many a hard-fought field, receiving personal congratu- lations by letter from Brevet Maj. Gen. J. F. Hartramft, of Ten- nessee; Brevet M aj. Gen. 0. B. Wilcox; John G. Park, Commander of the 9th Corps; from the Regimental and Brigade Commander of the 9th Army Corps; and from Brig. Gen. N. B. McLaughlin. In all the important commands which have been committed to his care, he has acquitted himself with that high soldierly bearing which called forth the hearty approval of Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War, and the President of the United States, which resulted in his appointment by the President as Brigadier General, which appoint- ment was approved by the Senate for his gallant assault upon Ft. Sedgwick, Virginia, on the second day of April, 1865. Thus, step by step, he rapidly rose from the private to the Brigadier, and when the war was over, retired to the shades of private life which he so much longed for, amid the congratulations of all his old comrades, and letter after letter of regret came to him (the original letters, the writer has been permitted to see) from the highest officers with whom he associated. But his home and his family had attractions that a brilliant and successful war record could not allure him from; and now in the peaceful pursuits of civil life, he is loved and respected by all. He has been appointed Notary Public by Gov. W. R. Taylor and re-appointed by Gov. Win. E. Smith; now engaged in a multitude of different kinds of business which he manages with the same consummate ability that so peculiarly marked his brilliant and successful war career. Among the various civil pursuits that now engages his attention may ,)e mentioned, first, his large farm of 555 acres. He is a practical and scientific farmer and stock-raiser; and is also engaged in lumbering, cutting some 3,000,000 feet per year. One is a rotary saw mill, where he cuts his lumber and puts it on his own yard; also a planing mill, lath and shingle mill in connection with his saw mill, all under one roof; has a merchant and exchange flour mill with six run of stone with a new device, called an end- ing stone, which by an ingenious arrangement, cuts the fuzz and the end from the kernel of wheat, and is pronounced a success; has a store, 24 x 70, two stories and basement, in which he keeps a general stock. The post office is located here. The basement of the building is laid up with white sandstone from a quarry on his own land that is of an excellent quality. The General has a cooper shop, where he makes his own barrels; a ware house and blacksmith shop. This enterprising man was one of the founders and the platter of the village, building most of the houses, includ- ing the hotel, the two stores on the east side of Apple River and all the dwelling houses on the west side of the river; has sold all the lots in the first plat of the village of Somerset and has now platted more on the south end of the village, to the number of 14 lots. sales of which are rapid. His business aggregates annually about $75,000. Was born in Orland, Hancock County, Maine, and came to Wisconsin in May, 1856; spent four years in California, engaged in mining and lumbering; built the second canal in the State for sluicing purposes, which was a success; has been in Somerset ever since 1856. He has one child living, Mary Francis; a son, Charles F., died in Madison while he was in the army, and is buried in Forest Hill Cemetery. HUDSON S. HARRIMAN, Somerset, was born in Orland, Hancock Co., Me., May 15, 1833; worked on the farm and in mills until 1856, when he came io Somerset and engaged in lum- bering on the Apple River, until April, 1860, when he returned to the old home in Maine, where he remained until December 16, when he returned to Somerset, and followed lumbering until Sept. 14, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. F, 1st Wis. Regiment, remaining until June 24, 1862 ; came back and remained until November, 1864, when he returned to the army and joined the 17th Wisconsin Regiment, 17th Corps, 4th Division; was engaged in guarding railroads, building bridges, clearing out tunnels and protecting the lines; on his returning to the army the second time, joined Sherman's army in his march to the sea; such was the strait to which the army was reduced that he with others stole the corn rations from the mules, and would brown it and eat; they also stole an animal in the dark, and upon examination found it to be a poor bull which they immediately let loose as un- fit for use; the next thing obtained was a camp chest filled with silverware. After taking Columbia, S. C., they had plenty to eat and fared sumptuously every day; was in Washington at the grand review, and was mustered out at Louisville, Ky.; returned to Madison, Wis., where the regiment was paid off. Returned to.. Somerset and engaged in the more peaceful pursuits of life, lum- bering -and working in the flour mill; has since been in the em- ploy of his brother, Brig. Gen. Samuel Harriman. Was married in May 31, 1863, to Miss Marcia A. Briggs, of Somerset, Wis. They have one adopted child; has been Town Treasurer and Chairman of the Board of Supervisors, also has charge of his brother's business. HFiNRY G. HENAULT, M. D., Somerset, was born in Three Rivers, Canada, Jan. 9, 1846 ; earned his course of classics in Nicolet College, Three Rivers, Canada; read medicine with Dr. Drainville for one year at St. Bartholomew; entered the uni- versity at Quebec called Laval, chartered in 1852; left Quebec in 1867 on a journey to Rome, passing through the principal cities of Europe to join the Pope's forces engaged against Garibaldi, and served two years; returned to Canada, May, 1870, and re- sumed his studies in the medical sciences at the Victoria College for two years and six months, graduating in the spring of 1872; after finishing his studies, he traveled in the different States and finally settled in Somerset. Was married June 29, 1876, to Miss Josephine Grant, daughter of Capt. Grant; they have two children--Josephine and Mary Louisa. CONRAD KALER, Somerset; was born in Germany, May 27,1823, and worked on a fvrm until 1870, when the war between France and Germany broke out, and he went into the German army; came to America after the close of the war, and finally settled in Somerset, buying the farm of 180 acres on which he now lives. Was married, in 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Simon. They have four children-Simon K., Charley, Anna and Mary. JAMES KELLEY, Somerset; was born April 16, 1847, in Ireland; came to America in 1865, and settled in the town of Somerset, where he has lived since, and owns a farm of 80 acres, also a village lot of 3 acres, on which he has built a saloon ; is also a dealer' in tax-titles and horses to quite an extent. Was married, in August, 1871, to Miss Mary Jane Riley; they have seven children-Francis, James E., John W., Rosetta, Ann Jane, Emiline and Mary E. FRANK KING, Somerset; was born in Canada, June 6, 1822; lived with his parents twenty-one years; came to Lake Superior and remained for five years, carpentering; came to Sometset in September, 1855, and entered 40 acres; lived on the land a few years; went to Saginaw, Mich., where he remained six months; then returned to Somerset, and bought another farm, on which he has lived since, until he concluded to build for himself a comfortable home in the village of Somerset, owning the farm at the same time. Was married in Detroit, Mich., July 28, 1847, to Miss Julia Defore; they have one child, Frank King, Jr. PAUL LIBERTY, Somerset; was born in Canada, July 12, 1826; lived with his parents for twenty-one years; came to Wis- consin in 1849, and settled on the Eau Galle River, for a time; hence to Somerset, and settled on the place where he now lives; has 200 acres. Was married in 1857, to Miss Anna S. Parent; they have five children-Susanna, Mary, Tripley, Alexander and John.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright