Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
Chapter XXI: miscellany, pp. 227-246 ff.
HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY are located on the north one-half of block 40. They are dwelling houses and front respectively west and east, on Fifth and Sixths streets. Ninth Avenue bounds the grounds on the north. The house on Fifth Street stands back from the avenue on the second lot. It is on a commanding height that gives a view of the river basin and of Gilbert's Creek to the westward, the house on Sixth Street is in the northeast comer of the school grounds. This last mentioned house was long the residence of Mr. George H. Barwise and of his family. They were nice people, rather exclusive as English people are apt to be. Mr. and Mrs. Barwise were in many respects typical English folk. The grounds of the Homemakers' school then were fashioned on English lines. The oak and the evergreen trees and the ornamental shrubbery that covered the whole ground now occupied by the school, was trimmed and cared for as we are wont to think English estates are trimmed and cared for. Mr. Barwvise was a book-keeper and ever faithful to his task. It is said that for 20 years the farthest he went from his desk was to the station at Menomonie Junction. His daily round of labor and pleasure was methodical in the extreme with a morning cup of coffee brought to him piping hot in a thin china cup, while he was still in bed. Connoisseurs in taste affect to believe a certain delicious delicacy is added to coffee drunk from a thin cup, to beer drunk out of a thick ice-cold mug, and to wine sipped from a thin glass. In a "bone-dry" nation, succeeding generations, probably, cannot verify these suppositions, save as to the enhanced savor of coffee so drunk. Never, never again, possibly, shall man or woman, know the taste of liquor; and of cereals and grapes there shall, doubtless, nevermore be a brewing, distillation or vinous fermen- tation. To appreciate the richness of the bead in beers, the acme of flavor in dis- tilled liquors, and the fine bouquet of wines, may perchance, become one of the lost arts. Mr. Barwise gave notice that he must quit the office on account of a chronic illness. He was told to come each day, if he could, even though he stayed but a few minutes, or an hour. His employers appreciated his faithfulness and realized that if he felt that his labors were ended he would not rest easy. He was kept on the pay roll. This man and. woman were earnest churchmen and had much to do with the establishment and the early maintenance of Grace church, then as now, located but a block away. They made a great deal of Christmas time and as their grand- children increased in number Mrs. Barwise was busy from one Christmas until the next in making and purchasing presents for all. Not one was ever overlooked. At one time M. L. Kern was rector in charge of this church. He had cogitated and grew from some outside orthodox sect into the Episcopal faith. He was generally, in the community, spoken of as "Elder Kern." In meeting Mrs. Barwise he often accosted her as "Sister Barwise," to which greeting she invariably replied: "Don't sister me, I am not a Methodist." The Stout Institute gymnasiurn building occupies all of lot 7 in block 54. It fronts endwise north on Wilson Avenue, its west wall runs north and south on the line of Second Street, and stands opposite the south portion of the manual training school building. The outside face of its eastern wall marks the line between lots 7 and 8, the residence lot of Mr. R. G. Ingraham. He and his family live on this lot. In winter their house is shaded by the county school building in the morning and in the afternoons the years around, it is in the deep shadow of the gymnasium. On this gymnasium lot there once stood a large and richly finished Baptist church. It was also lavishly furnished, having among its appointments, near the pulpit, a fine pipe organ, and underneath the pulpit an adequate immersion fount. When the fount was to be used the pulpit was pulled aside as a discarded stand. Cost sometimes shows the laudable intention of a builder to build well, and it -may indicate somewhat the grandeur of the buildings constructed. This church was built in 1870-1871, when materials and labor were cheap and low compared -with prices of today. The writer seems to be reliably informed as to the cost of this church. It cost Si17,O00) with an additional cost of Si,700 for the organ. This church building made over, now stands as a dwelling house on lot 4 of block 228
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright