University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XX: unincorporated villages and place names,   pp. 202-226


Page 204

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
Comfort, in Section 34, town of Weston, on a short branch of the "Omaha"
Railway, was once platted as a village by William J. Starr of Eau Claire, whQ had a
lumber camp here. He built a small warehouse, a platform and a box car station,
and for a while, especially about 1909, there was a considerable passenger traffic
to and from this point, even more than there was at Weston, the terminus of the
railroad. The platform and box car are still in evidence, but otherwise the place is
nothing but a name and a memory. No village ever developed here.
Connersville is a hamlet in the town of New Haven on the intersection of the
lines between Sections 27-28 and 33-34, and on the south fork of Hay River. It is
not on a railroad but is traversed by State Highway No. 64. Connersville was
settled in 1865. In the early 70's and for a number of years thereafter the stage
route from Menomonie to Prairie Farm passed through the village and a post office
was established here; but about 1879 or 1880 the office was moved to a point two
miles to the northwest, where it remained until after the building of the Wisconsin
Central Railroad some six or seven miles to the south. The village is now served
from Downing.
Connersville was named after David Conners, a well known pioneer of this
region. The Roberts family were also prominent here in early days, Leslie Roberts,
it is said, starting the first store in or about the year 1879. He later sold it to
Charles Hendrickson, by whom it was conducted for 15 years, at the end of which
time Mr. Hendrickson sold out to Joseph Fujko. The second store was started by
David H. Clark, who is still conducting it. Two years ago Carl Byrd opened a
third store. Fred Christianson conducts a blacksmith shop and H1. R. Knoepke a
garage.
The village has had a slow growth and has always been small. In 1890 it had
about 40 inhabitants and there were a sawmill and a feed mill here. About the same
time the farmers started a cooperative creamery, which is still flourishing, and the
people have a community church, previous to which time religious meetings were
held in the schoolhouse. The Rev. Mr. Boyne, a Methodist minister from Prairie
Farm, preached here some 50 years ago as one of several places that he visited in
northern Dunn County, Connersville being as far south as he got. In 1880, when
the hamlet had a population of 25, there was a Methodist mission here, the Rev.
J. Q. Helm serving Connersville and Nanceville, and the Methodist church has ever
since continued to minister to the spiritual needs of some of the residents. The
German Lutherans have lately bought a schoolhouse and remodeled it for church
purposes. The feed and sawmill of Henry Schlough has been operated for the last
nine or ten years, and there is a filling station in the village for cars. There are
about a dozen residences, and Bolan Camp, No. 6568, M. W. A., is active with a
number of members.
The name Bolan needs further mention, as it was the early name of the village,
as shown by a plat preserved in the courthouse at Menomonie, which is entitled
"A Plat of Bolan," the location being described as "A part of the S. W. Y4 of the
S. W. 1/4 of Section 27 Township 31, north of Range 14 west." This site was
surveyed in November, 1885 by J. H. Webster for F. L. Roberts. An atlas pub-
lished in 1888 gives the name of Bolan to the dot which represents the village, while
immediately underneath appear the words "Connersville P.0."  In time the place
took the name of the post office and that of Bolan was dropped, except as preserved
in the name of the Modem Woodmen Camp.
Davis some 35 years ago was a settlement in the town of Sherman, about five
miles east of Knapp. It had a post office.
Downsville is an unincorporated village on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway in the town of Dunn, eight miles south of Menomonie. It is on the Red
Cedar River and has a very picturesque situation, the bluffs on each side of the
valley rising to a considerable height. State Highway No. 25 runs north and south
through the village, furnishing good road communication with Durand, Menomonie
and other points. Some time ago J. C. Ticknor, in a paper read before the Old
Settlers' Society, said in regard to Downsville"
"On June 22, 1855, Ebenezer Thompson selected the lands where the village of
204


Go up to Top of Page