University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin

Chapter XX: unincorporated villages and place names,   pp. 202-226

Page 202

In this chapter it has been thought proper to include not only those unincor-
porated villages in the county that are communal entities at the present time, but
also those whose periods of business and social activity belong to a past time, and
to add to them mention of certain places that have never at any time attained the
importance of villages but which for one reason or another have become known by
name to the inhabitants of the county past or present and the names of which,
therefore, have a certain historical significance. The alphabetical method of ar-
rangement has been chosen as the simplest.
Amy, a mile or so northeast of the center of the town of Spring Brook, never
rose to the dignity of a village or even a hamlet, but a post office was formerly located
here, as shown by the-county atlas published in 18d5. A Baptist church was also
organized in the locality, in which occasional services were held 15 to 20 years ago
by the Rev. R. H. Vaughn, a Congregational minister of Elk Mound.
Baxter is a small community center on the bank of Hay River in the town of Hay
River and about nine miles north of the village of Wheeler. Its exact geographical
location is defined as "in the northeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 3,
Township 30 north of Range 13 west." The nearest railroad is the "Soo" passing
through Wheeler. About 15 or 16 years ago a creamery was started here which
has since been turned into a cheese factory, one of the best in the county. Andy
Baxter at the same time opened a general store which he is still conducting. Both
these enterprises are up to date and there is also a blacksmith's shop and garage,
besides half a dozen or more houses.
Blairmoore was formerly a post office in Section 31, town of Wilson. It is said
to have been named for a Mr. Blair, who lived for a while in the neighborhood.
Carrolton, was formerly a station on the Wisconsin Central Railway (now the
Soo") in Section 4, town of Tainter. In November, 1884, David D. Darling had
D. W. Waite plat the site of a village here, but no village ever grew up.
Caryvlle is a station, hamlet and post office on the Chippewa Division of the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway in the northern part of the political town
of Rock Creek. It is also on State Highway No. 85 giving direct road communica-
tion with Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls to the northeast and with Durand to the
Caryville was settled as early as 1855 but has never attained much size as a
village. On Sept. 5, 1883, a survey of the site, or what must have been nearly the
site, was made by D. W. Waite, county surveyor, by order of George Schuyler
Pierce and wife Martha, and a plat was made and recorded under the name of "The
Village of Pierce," the location being defined as "in the eastern part of Section 11,
Township 26 north of Range 11 west." This plat was rescinded Nov. 12, 1883, and
in May, 1892, another survey and plat were made for the Milwaukee Land Co., of
which John W. Cary was president, the location being defined as "the south half of
the northeast quarter of Section 11, Township 26 north of Range 11 west." It was
from this Mr. Cary that the village took its name. The post office was called Cary-
ville as early as 1886, if not before, as it thus appears in an atlas of the county
published in that year.
The present noticeable features of Caryville are, after the station, the general
store of Geo. B. Plumer, formerly station agent, who bought out 0. M. Smith in
1913;.a grain elevator, and a hall used for lodge and community meetings. The
residences are not many but are neat and homelike in appearance. The grain
elevator belongs to the R. E. Jones Company of Wabasha, Minn. It was built
by the Milwaukee Elevator Co., who conducted it for three years, selling it
at the end of that time to the Armour Grain Co., who also had it for about three

Go up to Top of Page