University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIX: incorporated villages,   pp. 164-201


Page 168

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
Enderlen, N. D., came to Boveeville as the first resident pastor, serving also the
Blanchard and Pine Grove charges. Steps were immediately taken to erect a
church building, a canvas for subscriptions being taken during the winter. Work
on the building was started in the spring and it was ccmpleted at a cost of about
$8,000; its present valuation, however, is nearer S10,0O0. It was a hard task to
secure the necessary funds, but under the leadership of Rev. Mr. Sachjten and Dr.
I. W. Irish, superintendent of the Eau Claire District of the West Wisconsin Con-
ference, the work went on. In the fall of 1918 the Rev. Jchn W. Burchall was
appointed to Boyceville, coming here frcm Chetek. The prevailing epidemic of
influenza had delayed the dedication of the building, which finally took place on
May 25, 1919, Dr. John Thcmpson of Chicago and Dr. J. W. Irish cfficiating.
In September, 1920 a good house was bought for a parsonage, costing 84,4C0. The
Rev. John W. Burchall served here for three years, leaving in the fall of 1921. The
next pastor was the Rev. J. A. Moats, who remained a year, and in the fall of 1922
the Rev. F. J. Smith took charge and is still serving. He has devised a means of
easing the financial strain put on the people by the erection of the church and par-
sonage by exhibiting motion pictures in the opera house once a month. These
pictures are of gc ,eral subjects, but are especially educational an, uplift:. ,. They
have proved popular and the financial results have been encouraging. The present
membership of the church is about 54, while the Sunday school has an enrollment of
about 75.. There are no outside appointments now and morning and evening ser-
vices are held each Sunday. The Ladies' Aid Society laid a new floor in the church
basement in 1923 and in the same year a 36-inch bell was placed in the belfry. The
Junior League and Epworth League are active societies. This is thee ccrmunitv
church for the American people of Boyceville and vicinity.
St. John's Lutheran Church (German) was organized in the village some 30
years ago and about seven or eight years later erected its present frame building.
There are now about 24 members in the congregation and services are held in
English and German.
Trinity Lutheran Church (Norwegian) is also an old congregation, the date of
its organization not being now remembered. Its present edifice, a good frame build-
ing, was erected in 1912, but for a number of years previous to that the congregation
held services in St. John's Lutheran Church, the pastors ccming frcm Glenwcod
City. Services are now conducted every other Sunday.
There is an Evangelical congregation attached to the Wheeler, Boyceville and
Oak Grove circuit, located a mile and a half or so to the southeast of Bovceville on
County Trunk Road K. It is an old congregation having about 27 members and
holds services in a schoolhouse.
Of the organized societies in Boyceville, aside from the churches, the first
established was R. P. Hobson Camp, No. 5747, M. W. A., which was chartered
Oct. 8, 1898, with 27 members and named after a hero of the Spanish-American war.
On June 1, 1905, North Star Lodge, No. 206, Mystic Workers of the World, was
chartered with 11 members.
A camp of Royal Neighbors of America, the woman's auxilliary to the Modern
Woodmen, was instituted Oct. 29, 1909, and its charter, dated Nov. 18, 1909,
bears the names of 20 members.
Boyceville Lodge No. 27, I. 0. 0. F., was instituted Feb. 14, 1918, and was
chartered June 5, that year. The charter shows the names of but eight members,
who must have been officers, but the lodge now has about 85 members.
Good Luck Rebekah Lodge, No. 202, woman's auxilliary to the Odd Fellows,
was instituted and chartered in 1921, with 27 members.
Harmon Harris Post, No. 314, American Legion, has a charter dated Feb. 8,
1921. The first commander was Kenneth Stout, the second Carl Hedlund, and the
third Albert Anderson, who was succeeded by the present commander, Norman
Peterson. The post has 35 paid up members, some of whom reside in the village
and some in the adjacent or surrounding country.
In addition to the above mentioned societies there is the Boyceville Woman's
Club, now in the fourth year of its existence, with 46 members, which follows a
168


Go up to Top of Page