University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIX: incorporated villages,   pp. 164-201


Page 165

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
the office for some time. Miss Anna Trainer also had it for a while, and so did
-1rs. Bradshaw, who, after becoming a widow, married Fred Brook. Mr. Brook,
who became postmaster in 1901, served as such for some years. Adolph Peterson
took the office in 1907 and Lyle I. Daigneau in 1914. On Feb. 21 1921, R. C.
Taylor became postmaster and is still serving as such. Bovceville became a third-
class office on Jan. 1, 1914, while Mr. Peterson was still postmaster. Three rural
routes are attached to it.
The first school in the town of Tiffany-the one mentioned by Mr. West-was,
according to another authority, a log building with a shanty roof, located on the
bank of Tiffany Creek within the present limits of the village of Boyceville. Miss
Annie Sticknev, who subsequently became Mrs. William Hayes, was, it is thought,
the first teacher. Mrs. Levisa Blakeley (wife of Nelson L. Blakeley) was also an
earl- teacher here, probably the second. The log building after some years was
sold for a farm residence and a frame schoolhouse was built which occupied the site
of the present high school This was a one-room building about 20 x 30 feet long,
and was the school of District No. 1, town of Tiffany. Mrs. Blakeley was the
first teacher here, and Mrs. Hayes also taught in it after her marriage; other teachers
in this school were Eliza, Kate and Mary Teare.
By 1888 the population of the district had so increased that the schoolhouse was
no longer large enough to accommodate the number of pupils, and accordingly a
new, two-room building was erected immediately adjacent to the old one, and this
latter was in use until 1913, when more space being again demanded, a four-room
brick building was put up on practically the same site, the frame structure becoming
a residence, which it is now. Three years later an addition of two rooms was made
to the brick building, which gave the district a six-room school. On a winter's
night three or four years later this building burned down and for a while the pupils
of this district attended school in the Methodist church and in the Opera House,
continuing to do so until the present schoolhouse was built. In addition to the
eight grades, the school provides a four-year high school course, the grades taking
up four rooms (two in a room), and the high school three, namely, the assembly,
English and commercial rooms. There is also a half basement under the assembly
room, which is used for gymnasium purposes. Altogether seven teachers are em-
ployed, three in the high school including the principal. There are now (May, 1924)
67 pupils in the high school and about 144 in the grades.
About 1890 a man came to Boyceville from Baldwin, St. Croix County, and
established what is now the Boyceville creamery. He was induced to do so by
Benjamin Brickle, who furnished funds to start the enterprise. Either because it
was not properly managed or because the farmers were not yet ready for it, it was
unsuccessful and after a while passed into the hands of other parties operating
under the name of the MIontanyea Creamery Co., who kept it going for five or six
years, though with little profit. It was then changed into a farmers' co-operative
concern, which it has since remained. As such it has had some ups and downs, but
has made progress and is now on a sound financial basis. The annual report for
the year ending Dec. 31, 1922-an especially good year-showed, among other, the
following items: Total pounds of cream received, 1,356,711; butter fat, 346,573;
butter made, 421,426; amount paid patrons by check, $136,638.30; by butter and
other supplies, $7,145; average price paid to patrons, $0.414; average price received
for butter, $0.369. Corresponding items for the year 1923 were: Total pounds of
cream received, 1,028,228;-butter fat, 216,089; butter made, 318,836; amount paid
patrons by check, $122,082; by butter and other supplies, $6,057.13; average price
paid to patrons, $0.49; average price received for butter, $0.43. The officers of
the company are: Emrick Nelson, president; Frank Meisner, secretary-manager;
Robert Grutt, treasurer. Directors: Jake Wisemiller and Jos. Lipovsky, Jr. The
creamery has 160 patrons.
The Boyceville Press was started Aug. 10, 1910, by E. E. Conroy, who came here
from Elmwood, Wis. It was a two-page, six-column paper, independent in politics.
Mr. Conroy conducted it until Feb. 21, 1912, when he sold out to H. K. Halvorson,
who enlarged it to an eight-page, six-column paper and made it Republican. He has
165


Go up to Top of Page