University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVIII: city churches and parishes,   pp. 146-163


Page 161

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
quet, the Memorial Sunday School Orchestra furnishing music. It was decided
to hold quarterly socials with supper and monthly socials without supper. Letters
of congratulation were read and the Rev. Mr. Niles delivered an inspiring address.
In May Mrs. Elizabeth Howison was appointed assistant tredsurer to solicit funds
to carry on the work of the society. In December, 1902, Miss Stella Lucas re-
signed as treasurer, receiving a vote of thanks for her long and faithful service,
and P. B. Clark was chosen to fill the vacancy. Mr. Stout had been for some time
a very liberal contributor to the society and about this time plans were discussed
to raise funds to relieve him of a part of the burden. In 1905 the society had two
officers, R. J. Flint being president and P. B. Clark, secretary and treasurer. In
March Mrs. Elizabeth Howison was elected a member of the board of trustees to
fill the place of Mrs. M. S. Messenger then recently deceased. About this time it
was resolved to purchase the Alexander house (on the north side of Twelfth Avenue,
second block west from Broadway) for a parsonage, which was done and the home
put into good condition for the pastor. As shown by the list of names entered in
the record book of the society, there were at this time about 250 persons connected
with the society. The number of names actually recorded is 252, but several are
folloxx ed by a question mark, which implies some doubt as to their being regular
members. At the annual meeting held in March, 1906, it was reported that the
old parsonage had been sold and a new one bought. R. J. Flint, who had served as
as trustee for 18 years, retired from the board, being given a vote of thanks for
his long and faithful services. The trustees elected were J. H. Stout, James B.
Chickering, P. B. Clark, Miss Stella Lucas, George Thompson, Mrs. Elizabeth
Howison and Mrs. Andrew Tainter. In September a committee of three was ap-
pointed to assist the treasurer in raising funds, namely: Miss Stella Lucas, Miss
Hessie Freeman and Mrs. Charlie Anderson. In April. 1907, the Sunday school
had a membership of 140, Charles Ingraham being superintendent. Mr. Niles
reported that 60 new names had been added to the church rolls the past year.
Mrs. Bertha Tainter was given a rising vote of thanks for the great interest she
had taken in the society, and her kindly assistance to the same, and a deep feeling
of regret was expressed at her absence. In September Mr. Niles was invited to
continue his services with the society for another five years and accepted. He
was then elected delegate to the International Congress of Liberal Religions to
be held at Boston, September 14, with expenses paid by the society. The ladies'
society, known as the Ladies' Circle, which had a membership of from 50 to 70,
was active in various ways not only along lines of self culture, but also in helping
the society. The financial problem being a pressing one, the ladies, in the fall of
1909, raised some money by means of a bazaar. About this time the Young Men's
Club had a membership of 40 or 50 and was doing good work, There was con-
siderable interest in the society throughout the county. A campaign for funds and
new membership was started. In February, 1911, F. L. Curran became superin-
tendent of the Sunday school in place of Mrs. Essie Nickerson. In this year an
appeal for help was made to the American Unitarian Association, but without
result. Encouraging letters were received from time to time and the work con-
tinued in spite of insufficient resources. In the latter part of the year, 1911, Miss
Stella Lucas died, after having been an active member and officer of tne society
for a period of 23 years, and her place on the board of trustees was taken by Mrs.
Essie Nickerson. In 1912 it was decided to improve the parsonage, the money
to be raised by placing a mortgage on it, and, in September, 1913, it was decided
to sell the barn on the parsonage lot and to paint the parsonage. A report in
February, 1914, showed that the Girls' Guild had raised the money to purchase a
new set of song and service books and had a small balance left over. Money being
due the pastor, it was resolved this year to place an additional loan on the par-
sonage. In September, 1916, Mr. Niles resigned, his resignation being accepted
and a financial settlement being made with him. A report in February, 1918,
showed that the Girls' Unitarian Club, a new organization, had been doing good
work, especially for the Red Cross Society. The Rev. Walter Smith was now
pastor, and during the previous year there h~ad been an increase of 37 in the mem-
161


Go up to Top of Page