University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVIII: city churches and parishes,   pp. 146-163


Page 157

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
founded in 1846, the Synod for the Norwegian Lutheran Churches organized in
1853, and the United Lutheran Church started in 1890. The natural effect of this
union was to bring together the local congregations and unify local work. In the
fall of 1918 committees representing the local congregations were elected for the
purpose of effecting local union; that is, the union of the Menomonie churches and
those in the surrounding territory depending on service from the Menomonie
pastors. In the city of Menomonie proper there were two Norwegian Lutheran
congregations, one being the Synod congregation, known as the First Norwegian
Lutheran Church, and the other a United Lutheran congregation; and in North
Menomonie there were also two, one of each of the above mentioned branches.
The synod church edifice in North Menomonie was built about 1885, and the
United Lutheran edifice a little before that. Each of these congregations elected
a committee of five members and the four committees met and agreed on articles
of incorporation and on the consolidation in each place of the two divergent
branches into a single congregation. Thus in Menomonie the United Lutherans
and the First Norwegian Lutheran body were merged into one congregation, which
took the name of "Our Saviour's Lutheran Church," to which was also attached for
pastoral service and control the Mamre United Lutheran Congregation (located
five miles west of Menomonie); while in North Menomonie a union occurred be-
tween the Svnod church, known as St. John's, and the United Lutheran congregat-
tion, to this consolidated church being joined a third congregation known as the
Tramway Norwegian Lutheran Church, these three congregations after their
union taking the name of "The Norwegian Lutheran Church of North Menomonie."
The United Lutheran Church building is still in use but the synod building has
been converted into a residence. It should also be mentioned that a similar con-
solidation took place at Elk Creek of the Froen Norwegian Lutheran Synod con-
gregation and the Little Elk Creek congregation of the United Lutheran body,
which were formed into the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Little Elk
Creek. These consolidations, which reduced eight congregations to three, made
it possible to dispense with one of the two Menomonie pastors, so that there has
since been only one here, who serves as pastor of Our Saviour's, the congregation
in North Menomonie, the Little Elk Creek congregation, and what is known as
the Varney Creek congregation. The pastor conducts two or three Sunday serv-
ices, in summer having the assistance of a theological student. The present par-
sonage'in Menomonie-a fine modem residence, was erected in 1915 and dedicated
in December, that year.
In the vear 1871 Rev. Amund Johnson organized Spring Brook Norwegian
Evangelical Lutheran congregation at old Meridean, Dunn County. Some of the
members of the congregation lived on the north side of the Chippewa River and
some on the south side. The Rev. Mr. Johnson served the congregation until
1872, when Rev. Gzermund ioyme took charge of it and served until 1876. In
that year the Rev. Lars Lund became minister. In 1875 the first church was
built at old Meridean. Up to that time the service had been conducted mostly
in living-houses and sometimes in the lumber yards. In 1886 the church burned
down, but in 1889 a new and much larger church was built to take its place. At
that time a considerable number of people emigrated from Norway and settled on
the prairie west of Rock Falls in the town of Rock Creek, down on the bottoms
around Meridean and on the north side of the Chippewa River, north of Caryville,
in the town of Spring Brook. Most of these people were members of Spring
Brook congregation, which was a large one, probably numbering between 300 and
400 members. From the beginning the congregation was connected with Con-
ference, and was a Norwegian Lutheran church body till 1890, when the United
Lutheran Church of America was organized, which it joined. When in June 1917
the tr   Norwegn Lutheran church bodies known respectively as the Norwe-
gian Lutheran Synod, the Hauge, and the United Lutheran Church of America
were consolidated and formed into the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America,
the Spring Brook congregation automatically became a member of that body.
The Rev. Mr. Lund served the congregation until 1893, when Rev. I. A. Skare
157


Go up to Top of Page