University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVIII: City churches and parishes,   pp. 146-163


Page 154

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
after him there came in succession the Rev. Peter Spich, 1873-1874; and Rev.
M. C. Werner, 1875-1877. It was in the latter year, 1876, that a church edifice
was built in Menomonie, which was known as Zion Church of the Evangelical Asso-
ciation, and which was situated at the corner of Seventh and Balsam streets, the
latter street being now known as Eleventh Avenue. The dedication of the new
edifice took place on Nov. 26, 1876, the ceremonies being presided over by Bishop
R. Dubs of Cleveland, Ohio. At that time the congregation probably had about
40 members. In 1877 this field was organized as the Menomonie Circuit and in-
cluded the churches at Menomonie, Iron Creek, Elk Mound and a congregation in
the town of Tainter, in the southeast corner of the town, and close to the line sep-
arating that town from the town of Red Cedar. In 1879 the Rev. J. P. Viel be-
came pastor and served two years. The next pastor, 1879-1880, was the Rev.
C. F. Reichert and according to a custom which prevailed at that time and for
many years afterward, he had an assistant, who was the Rev. William Detert.
The Rev. David Sneider assumed the pastorate in 1881, with F. Moser as assistant.
In 1882 the Rev. F. Moser became the regular pastor and served the field in that
year and in 1883. In 1884 the pistor assigned to the Menomonie Circuit was the
Rev. William Pfefferkorn, and in that vear the annual conference was held in
Menomonie. The pastor placed in charge in 1886 was the Rev. C. F. Finger, and
he remained until the spring of 1889. Then came the Rev. H. Clement, 1889-
1892; Rev. G. Friedrich, 1893-1894; Rev. A. F. Haberman, 1895-1897; and Rev.
J. I. Seder, 1897-1900. While the Rev. Mr. Seder was pastor the Iron Creek con-
gregation erected their second church edifice, a frame building. His successor was
the Rev. F. J. Siewert, 1900-1904; after whom came the Rev. R. Eilert, 1904-1907;
then the Rev. Phillip Schneider, who served from 1908 to 1911, and in whose pas-
torate the present parsonage at No. 1215 Seventh Street, was built at a cost of
about $5,000. The previous parsonage, on Sixth Street, had been purchased.
From 1913 to 1916 the Rev. R. Eilert was again pastor, being succeeded by the
Rev. W. L. Lembke, who served from 1916 to 1920. The latter was succeeded
by the present pastor, the Rev. B. J. Diekvoss, who has remained in charge. In
1923 plans were laid for the present church edifice, the site was excavated in Octo-
ber, that year, and on June 6, 1924, the corner-stone was laid with appropriate
ceremonies by the Rev. W. G. Radetz. On Dec. 9, 1924, the church was dedicated
by Bishop L. H. Seager, D. D, from Le Mars, Iowa, assisted by the presiding elder,
the Rev. W. G. Radetz, and the pastor of the church, a number of other pastors
being present. The building, which was erected at a cost of S57,000, is a fine brick
structure, 109 feet in length, with an average breadth of about 50 feet, the front
being 60 feet in width. The church is beautified by stained glass windows, some
of which were donated as memorial windows by members of the congregation;
Mr. and Mrs. P. Kraft donating one, Mr. and Mrs. William Foster one, C. C.
Wieman two, Mrs. Arthur Schaefer one in memory of her husband, Mrs. William
Albright one and Mrs. Fred Blume one; and another was donated by Gilbert
Pfefferkom, Mrs. S. P. Kraft and i\Irs. John Kothlow in memory of their father
and mother, Rev. and Mrs. William Pfefferkorn (see list of pastors). A pipe organ
about to be installed will be donated by the Kraft brothers-Samuel, William and
John-in memory of their father and mother. The present membership of the
church is 160; that of the Sunday school, 190. The auxiliary societies are the
Ladies' Aid, with a membership of 35; the Woman's Missionary Society, also about
35; and the Christian Endeavor League, composed of young people, with a mem-
bership of about 54. Up to about seven years ago the four congregations previ-
ously mentioned-those of Menomonie, E lk Mound, Iron Creek and Tainter-
were members of the Menomonie Circuit; but they were then divided into two
circuits or districts as at present, one being composed of Elk Mound and Iron
Creek and the other of Menomonie and Tainter. The last mentioned, therefore,
is also served by the pastor of the church in IMenomonie. Since this change was
made there have been no assistant pastors, and the services have been conducted
entirely in English.
German MIethodist Episcopal Church.--This congregation was organized in
154


Go up to Top of Page