University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVIII: City churches and parishes,   pp. 146-163


Page 152

school, and an additional teacher conducts the nusic departmemt. The present
trustees of the parish are Messrs. John Cramer, Jr., J. W. Styer, C. 0. Govin and
W. J. Myers. The parish has four societies, two of a strictly religious nature and
two of the social and insurance type. The former are the Ladies' Altar Society,
headed by Mrs. C. Finney, and the Men's Holy Name Union, presided over by
George Belair; the latter, the Knights of Columbus and the Knights of Wisconsin.
The Knights of Columbus, Council 2055, were organized in the parish five years
ago, the membership being 150 and Mr. Herman Born acting grand knight. The
Knights of Wisconsin have been in existence at Menomonie as Branch 135 since
1892. The number of members at present is 112, John Lammer being president.
Grace Episcopal Church has a history which covers more than half a century.
It is said that Episcopal services were held in the village as early as 1870, but it
was not until two years later that the church was organized, after application had
been made, Sept. 1, 1872, to Bishop Armitage of Milwaukee. The first officers
elected were: Robert Macauley, warden; E. B. Bundy, treasurer; and E. H. Weber,
secretary. Mrs. Robert Macauley, Mrs. E. H. Weber, Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Bar-
wise, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Mathews and M;. and T Tii s. A. P. Davis were also among
the original members. Until 1874 the congregation was under the pastoral care
of Rev. R. F. G. Page of Eau Claire and became an active Christian organization.
A lot was purchased in March, 1873. In September, 1874, the Rev. P. B. Mor-
rison was appointed missionary pastor, and the corner-stone of the church was laid
by him on June 10, 1875, assisted by the Rev. M. L. Kern of Chippewa Falls.
On July 1, 1875, the Rev. W. H. H. Ross was appointed missionary and the first
resident pastor, and in the following October the church-a brick structure-was
completed, services being held in it Oct. 10 by Rt. Rev. E. R. Welles, assisted by
the Revs. P. B. Morrison and W. H. H. Ross. As all the church's records are not
now in possession of the society, some difficulty has been experienced in procuring
a complete list of the successive pastors in their proper order, in particular for the
period between 1880 and 1888-but after patient inquiry and investigation, the
list as here given is believed to be substantially correct. The Rev. M. L. Kern
took charge of the mission in 1876 and remained until October, 1877. During the
next three or four years it was served by the Rev. C. D. Mack, Rev. 0. E. Osten-
sen, Rev. Ammi M. Lewis (who died here after a brief pastorate), and Rev. E. R.
Sweetland. The last mentioned, who assumed charge in July, 1879, was reap-
pointed by the Bishop for another year in July, 1880. In April, 1881, he left and
that year the Rev. M. L. Kern became rector again and officiated as such for five
years, or until his death on July 7, 1886. In May, 1882, the church was reconse-
crated, or rededicated by Bishop Wells and assisting priets, probably after some
changes or renovations had been made in the building. After the Rev. Mr. Kern,
the Rev. C. R. D. Crittenden seems to have been rector for a year or so, the Rev.
Charles H. Hartman being appointed in April, 1888. In that, year a parsonage
was built at a cost of $1300. It was a frame building situated just south of the
church on Sixth Street, and is still tanding, though now rented out. After a
brief pastorate the Rev. Mr. Hartman left and Mr. A. A. Miller,lay reader, con-
ducted the services for about a vear, or until the appointment as rector of the Rev.
E. E. Edwards in 1890. Mr. Edwards, with Robert Macauley, as a committee of
two, drafted a plan to improve the church, and while the work was in progress
services were held in the court house. For a number of years the ladies of the
church, organized as the Grace Mission Church Society, were very helpful in pro-
moting the welfare and prosperity of the church by holding fairs and giving other
entertainments in order to raise funds. In 1891 the Menomonie mission petitioned
to be made a parish and the petition was granted. In the following year electric
lights were installed, the old chandeliers being taken out and donated to the Epis-
copal church at Knapp. In the same year, 1892, the Rev. E. E. Edwards left and
Rev. A. V. Gorrell took his place, remaining as pastor until 1893. A call was then
extended to Rev. James Simonds, who became rector in that year. In the fall of
1894 he resigned, his successor, in 1895, being Dr. S. H. Meade. About that time
a wing was built on to the south side of the church to be used as a guild hall. Dr.
HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
152


Go up to Top of Page