University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVII: Military record,   pp. 134-145


Page 143

On Sunday, July 21, memorial services were held in Stout Auditorium in honor
of the soldiers from Dunn County who had given up their lives in the great con-
flict. A large audience was present, the hall being filled.
In September preparations were made for the fourth Liberty Loan drive to
begin Sept. 28. This drive was over-subscribed by nearly S50,000, the total sale
of bonds being 8589,100.
In October the schools, churches, and other public meeting places in the city
were temporarily closed on account of the prevailing influenza.
A report of an armistice between the contending armies which reached this
country in the first week of November being sent under an mistaken impression by
an American officer, and which was given publicity in the News issue of Nov. 7,
caused a premature celebration; but a few days later a correct report arrived that
the armistice had been actually signed on Nov, 11. A grand demonstration then
took place, all the stores and places of business being closed, and preparations be-
ing hastily made for two parades, which were carried out, one in the forenoon and
another in the afternoon, in which the Stout students took part, besides many of
the citizens. All were rejoiced at the news of vistory, and that the reports of addi-
tional dead and wounded which toward the close of the war had been appearing
more and more frequently in the News columns, were now practically ended, and
that with the exception of the few who were destined still to succumb from wounds
or disease, the soldier bovs who still survived would ere many weeks be on their
return home to their anxious relatives. Of those joyous reunions it is needless
here to speak; they can better be imagined than described. Some of the soldiers
were detained for awhile with the army of occupation in Germany, but there was
no longer the same anxiety as to their lives and welfare, and hope deferred was in
time realized and the citizen soldiery absorbed again into their respective com-
munities with joyful welcome.
With respect to the Red Cross, Miss Marion Ingalls, the present secretary,
has kindly furnished the following article:
On March 2, 1917, a meeting was held in the Memorial Building to discuss
the formation of a Red Cross chapter. The meeting was opened by T. B. Wilson,
who was elected temporary chairman. Mr. L. D. Harvey was the speaker of the
evening. A petition signed by 47 charter members to form a Dunn County chap-
ter was forwarded to the National Red Cross.
On March 19, 1917, authority having been received, the permanent organiza-
tion of the chapter took place at a meeting in the Memorial Building, with the
following officers: T. B. Wilson, chairman (succeeded in 1921 by B. L. Kabot);
Mrs. E. E. Lamberton, vice chairman (succeeded in October, 1917, by Mrs. 0. E.
Huber); Mrs. Jonathan Boothbv, secretary (succeeded in 1918 by Marion Ingalls,
who still holds that office); William Schutte, Jr., treasurer. The board of directors
chosen was composed of the following persons: Mrs. E. E. Lamberton (succeeded
in October, 1917, by vMrs. 0. W. Huber), William Schutte, Jr., Mrs. Jonathan
Boothby, Mrs. I. B. Spencer (succeeded in 1920 by Rev. A. E. Westenberg), Rev.
Mr. Tolleys (succeeded in 1918 by Miss Hessie Preeman), Mrs. Frank Carter,
Miss Hattie Bates, Mrs. A. J. Josephson (succeeded in 1921 by B. L. Kabot), Mrs.
Robert Taufman, B. H. Waterman, Mrs. C. H. Diedrich and T. B. Wilson.
In November, 1918, it was voted to add to the board of directors the chairman
of each branch.
The active work of the chapter was organized with Mrs. T. B. Wilson in charge
of the surgical dressing department, who served continuously to the end of the
war. Mrs. Charles Nelson was succeeded by Mrs. 0. W. Huber as matron or
superintendent in charge of sewing. Marion Ingalls was in charge of the cutting
of hospital garments and the supply of branches. Mrs. W. 0. Patterson was suc-
ceeded by Mrs. Belle Ranney as head of the inspection department. Mrs. Jona-
than Boothby had charge of knitting and Mrs. Paul Wilson of packing and shipping.,
The following branches were organized: Big Otter Creek, May 14, 1918; chair-
HISTORY OF DU-NN COUNTY
143


Go up to Top of Page