University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVII: Military record,   pp. 134-145


Page 139

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
name of the Ludington Guard Band soon regained its former reputation as an
efficient musical organiza-lon. Mr. Ingraham continued as director until 1907,
when he was succeeded by Ole C. Kausrud, under whose directorship the band
remained until about five years ago, when Paul E. Gregg succeeded him. About
a year or so previous to that the Knights of Pythias had formed a band, largely
if not entirely composed of members of the Ludington Guard Band, and had
bought a set of uniforms for it. It was known as the "Dokkey" or "Dokie" Band,
and Paul E. Gregg was the director. As such it did some parade work and gave
some concerts, holding separate rehearsals. But two rehearsals a week with dif-
ferent directors proved an inconvenient arrangement for the men, and Mr. Kaus-
rud, who had been conducting the Ludington Guard Band rehearsals, finally
dropped out, being succeeded, as already mentioned, by Paul E. Gregg, and the
old order of things was resumed. At present the band consists of about 25 men.
Besides taking part in parades on general holidays and other special occasions, it
does a considerable amount of concert work in summer, including the St. Criox
county fair work at Glenwood City, and usually the Buffalo County fair work at
Mondovi; also playing Sunday concerts at Electric Park, on the traction line be-
tween Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls, and concert work in Menomonie. For
concert work in the city park a shell band stand was erected several years ago,
costing about 82,000, the city appropriating $300 of this amount, and the balance
being raised by public subscriptions. In August, 1923, the band won a gold saxo-
phone as prize in a band competition held at Winona, Minn., and on various other
occasions it has been highly spoken of as an excellent musical organization.
Hosford-Chase Post No. 32, American Legion, was organized in Menomonie
Aug. 9, 1919. Publicity had been given in the Dunn County News to the pro-
posed organization and 28 service men signed written applications for membership.
The following officers were elected. to serve for the remainder of the year: J. W.
Macauley, commander; P. M. Krogstad, vice commander; A. 0. Arntson, adju-
tant; Paul E. Bailey, finance officer; A. Cantrell, historian. At this meeting com-
mittees were appointed to arrange for a Home Coming Day at the Dunn County
Fair, Sept. 10, also for securing members and obtaining a charter. The Post.
conducted Fourth of July celebrations in 1921, 1922 and 1923. It also paid a part
of the cost of Point Comfort (part of the city park system) in 1922, assisted in
raising money for the Tourist Camp in 1924, and sponsored and assisted in financ-
ing the Boy, Scout troops in 1925. The commanders who have served since Com-
mander J. V. Macauley have been: 1920, P. T. Huntington and C. M. Peddycourt;
1921, Orville A. Tilleson; 1922, H. G. Lundegard; 1923, Galen F. Martin; 1924,
A. L. MIitten; 1925, Herbert 0. Goepfarth.
The American Legion Auxiliary Unit of Hosford-Chase Post No. 32 was or-
ganized in May, 1920, and in the first vear had about 91 members. At the present
time there are 130, all female relatives of service men who died in the line of duty,
either during the war or since. The Auxiliary acts as aid and support to the
Legion, especially in rendering assistance to disabled service men. It holds its
meetings once a month in the American Legion club rooms. Its largest assets are
from the sale of the American Legion poppies before Memorial Day, though other
funds are raised through entertainments of various kinds. The first president of
the Auxiliary was Mrs. A. J. Johnson, who served in 1920-21, and whose successors
have been: Mrs. J. E. Joyce, 1922; Mrs. A. W. Macaulev and Mrs. A. R. Joseph-
son, 1923; Irs..Ada Hosford, 1924" and Mrs. E. E. Stevens, 1925.
The national organization of home war activities after this country declared
war against Germany, which was extended on much the same general lines to
states and counties, made the work practically the same everywhere except as to
minor details. It Would be impossible within the limits of reasonable space to
mention all the residents of Dunn County, who, disqualified by reason of age, sex,
or other disabilities, from service in the army or navy, yet did work at home that
139


Go up to Top of Page