University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XVII: Military record,   pp. 134-145


Page 138

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
torium of Stout Institute, the principal speakers being President Harvey and the
Rev. A. E. Von Stilli. The ex-service men of Stout Institute were provided with
reserved seats. At 2:00 p. m. the unveiling ceremony took place, the monument
being unveiled by Major A. Nathness and the Rev. P. H. Linley of Milwaukee
delivering an address. The ladies of the Woman's Relief Corps also presented a
flag to Walcott Post, G. A. R. Music was furnished by the local band.
On March 4, 1920, Company H was again reorganized, this time under the
captaincy of Albert Nathness. On Dec. 14 Nathness was promoted to major and
Gordon Cassel became captain. The company had a strength of 103 men and three
officers. When Cassel resigned Arthur Anderson became captain, being followed
by Gustav Hitz, the officer now in charge.
The company has taken several expensive pleasure trips and participated in
camp manuevers at various times, showing themselves to be well drilled soldiers.
On Aug. 26, 1884, they were the guests of the First Regiment of Milwaukee, and
on that occasion the citizens of Menomonie showed their appreciation of the sol-
diers by presenting them with a beautiful silk flag. Their next trip was to the
Inl i-national Encampment and Rifle Contest at Chicago, Oct. 1 to 8, 1887; and
on Jan. 6, 1889, they went to Madison to the inauguration of Governor Hoard.
In 1907 the entire company went to Fort Benjamin Harrison at Indianapolis on
a two weeks' trip. Eleven days were spent in camp. In the summer of 1922 they
participated in maneuvers between Camp Douglas and Sparta with two Wisconsin
and one Illinois regiments and a troop of the Fifth U. S. Cavalry. Several other
troops of infantry and cavalry regulars took part in the demonstration.
After the company was mustered out of service at the close of the World War
the local soldiers reorganized as the Eleventh Separate Company, but in 1921 they
were organized as Company A, 128th Infantry. When Captain Hitz took charge
in August, 1923, there were 35 active men on the roll and about 20 "deadheads,"
but the company has since been recruited up to 93 enlisted men and three officers,
active. Captain Hitz, a World War soldier, with a citation for gallantry in action
has brought the organization up to a high degree of military efficiency, and in the
spring of 1924 it was highly praised by Major Lee Sumner of the U. S. regular army.
The following is a list of commissioned officers from the time of organization
of the company up to the present time: Captains-T. J. George (promoted to major
in 1883), George R. Brewer, L. 0. Haugen, J. C. Ohnstad, J. W.. Macauley, M. F.
Swant, Albert Nathness, Gordon Cassel, Arthur Anderson and Gustav Hitz.
First lieutenants-Simon Marugg, William Young, George R. Brewer, H. E.
Knapp, S. A. Peterson, M. Doolittle, A. S. Ladd, 0. B. Ballard, J. C. Ohnstad,
A. Magnuson, J. W. Macauley, Dane Waite, M. F. Swant, A. P. Davis, Walter
Nevs, Albert Nathness, H. W. Quilling, Harry C. Nelson, E. C. Hill, Talma Scott,
Frank Schroeder, Arthur Anderson, Arthur Oestreich, C. M. Russell.
Second lieutenants-William Young, George R. Brewer, H. T. Cassidy, H. E.
Knapp. H. A. Wilcox, S. A. Peterson, A. S. Ladd, 0. B. Ballard, R. Carlsrud, A.
Ransier, L. 0. Haugen, N1. Hansen, A. Magnuon, J. W. Macauley, E. Skeel, M\.
F. Swant, A. P. Davis, Walter Neys, I. J. Winters, H. W. Quilling, Hans 'M. Han-
son, Harry C. Nelson, E. C. Hill, Harold Buckland, Martin Lierman, Gordon Cassel,
Sever Setter, Edgar Setter, John M. Fladoes.
Majors-T. J. George, Albert Nathness.
The armory in Menomonie was built after the Spanish-American War, from
money allowed by the state, which was saved until the company had enough to
buy the lot and build it.
The Ludington Guard Band.-A military band was organized in Menomonie
about a year after the organization of the Ludington Guard and subsequently be-
came the regimental band of the Third Regiment, W. N. G. Jacob Miller, who
was the organizer, was also its capable leader for a number of years, after which
John B. Williman took hold of it and also proved a good director. Like most sim-
ilar organizations, it had its ups and downs, and some time after Mr. Williman
gave up the directorship on account of advancing y'ears, it broke up. In 1888 it
was reorganized under the directorship of Charles Ingraham, and under the old
138


Go up to Top of Page