Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
Chapter XIV: Further history of Menomonie, pp. 91-116 ff.
Evergreen Cemetery.-The ground comprising this cemetery, some 45 acres, situated near the river in the northeast part of the city near the limits, was for- merly the property of Knapp, Stout & Co., and was laid out by them as a cemetery at an early date. They were at that time the prime movers in all public enter- prises, and, a cemetery being necessary, they not only laid it out but also for many years retained the management of it. In 1904, the company-then the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company-having closed out their lumber business here, with other related enterprises, a meeting of the lot owners and citizens was called at the court house to provide other management for the cemetery. The meeting was called to order and presided over as chairman by C. E. Freeman, J. C. Wilcox acting as secretary. T. B. Wilson, of the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company, placed before the meeting the proposition of the company to deed Evergreen Cemetery to a properly organized association. On motion of R. J. Flint the association was named the Evergreen Cemetery Association. An annual meeting was provided for and three trustees were elected, namely, Torger Hansen, T. B. Wilson and J. B. Chickering, to serve for one, two and three years respectively. Through reelection the same trustees continued to serve until'Mr. Hansen's death in March, 1924, when E. C. Quilling was elected to succeed him. In March, 19z5, Paul E. Bailey was elected to succeed Mr. Chickering, who died that year. The cemetery has been improved and well cared for, and its headstones and monuments awaken many tender memo- ries on the part of the old-time residents of the city who stroll through its cliet paths. An important and interesting chapter in the development of the community was the advent of the railroad now known as the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha. The government had made a large grant for the building of a line to St. Paul, and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul held this grant for years. In 1869 a popular movement was started which resulted in the organization of a partly local company, the Milwaukee & St. Paul Company having meanwhile built a line up the Mississippi River. The grant was transferred to the company above mentioned, and Messrs. Humbird & Baldwin made an agreement to build a line from Tomah on the Milwaukee road to Black River Falls, Eau Claire, Menomonie and Hudson, and the road was built under the name of the West Wisconsin Rail- road Company. This road reached the city in 1871, the following January mov- ing trains both ways. The route north of the city was one of three that were pro- posed. One went through the course of Gilbert Creek, another through the city and across the pond by the lumber yards, striking the route of the present line three or four miles out of town. There were objections to the trestle over the pond, and also to a bonus demanded for going through the city, and the course finally selected which passes through the present Junction. Henry H. Porter, who was then president of the road, came here several times in an effort to get the line over the pond, but failed. The West Wisconsin road experienced financial difficulties, and after several changes of name became a part of the present Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha system. The line at first ran between St. Paul and Tomah. After the Chicago & Northwestern built its line to Elroy, the route of this road was changed so that it went through Camp Douglas to Elroy, and it finally became attached to and affiliated with the Northwestern. For years it was necessary to go from the city to the Junction to take trains, and this led to a strong agitation for a connection with the city. On Aug. 29, 1876, bonds for 850,000 were voted for the execution of a contract with the Chippewa Valley & Minnesota Railroad Co., of which S. B. French was secretary. The arrangement was not carried out and the town was released from all obligations. Then President Porter of the West Wisconsin road proposed to bring a spur into the north side of the city for $10,000, but the citizens would give nothing unless the line came across the river. This Mr. Porter agreed to do if given a depot site and $25,000. This proposition was accepted, and the town issued $28,000 worth of bonds, of the proceeds of which $3,000 was to be used for depot grounds. An election was held on Aug. 26, 1879, the result being 412 for the bond issue and 135 against it. The bonds were for 10 and 20 years at 7 per cent interest, and the first half were retired Feb. 5, 1890, and the second half Feb. 5, 1Q00. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY .92
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright