University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIII: The county school system,   pp. 78-90


Page 89

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
inadequate for the purposes desired. There was a strong probability at this time
that at the next session of the board a county school of agriculture would be estab-
lished and both schools could be housed in the same building.
"In November, 1901, that school was unanimously ordered to be organized,
at at the same session a building committee was appointed to take charge of the
erection of a suitable building to house both schools. Supervisors Clark and Cronk,
acting with the Training School board, Messrs. Stout, Florin and Varnum, were
the committee who brought to a successful completion the present building. Mean-
time the school was working at full mapacity with 70 enrolled selected from 80 appli-
cants and with 10 on the waiting list.
"The board appropriated 820,000 for the building. The four lots on which
the building now stands, valued at S5,000, were donated as follows: $2,500 by
Senator J. H. Stout, $1,500 by the city of Menomonie, and the balance, $1,000, by
personal subscriptions of citizens, and it is due largely to the splendid efforts of the
present treasurer of the Training School Board, Mr. Henry M. Miller, that this last
sum was secured. The total cost of the building and equipment was $20,216.85.
"The building was formally accepted by the board on Saturday, Nov. 8, 1902,
and it was opened to the school on Monday, Nov. 17, 1902. " Moving Day" was an
event not soon to he forgotten; the historical bottle was carefully stored in the office
and the " County Normal" was at home.
"In the fall of 1902 it was found necessary to add another teacher to the faculty
in order to accomplish work outlined, as the school was automatically growing into
a two-year course school for eighth grade graduates, necessitating extra classes and
broader curriculum. From that time the faculty was gradually increased to meet
the demands of heavier enrollment, broader course of study and more extension
work till it numbers five at the present time (1924).
"As principal Prof. W. L. Morrison served five years and began the sixth when
his health made it imperative for him to go to California, where he has since resided,
carrying on his splendid ideas in educational work through organized classes for
training Sunday school and Bible class teachers. His work in organizing and pro-
moting this school was one of absolute devotion and his memory is held dear in the
hearts of the boys and girls who recited to him here.
"Mr. Morrison was succeeded by Mr. G. L. Bowman, who came to us Oct. 27,
1904, from the Waupaca County Training School. Mr. Bowman gave 18 of the
best years of his life to this school and to Dunn County and was, by an untimely
stroke, taken from his work April 19, 1922. His love, his loyalty, hisideals remain
as a living testimony to the quality of his work.      a   h
"in June, 1912, -Miss Allen resigned from her position as supervisor of practice
and went to Newburgh, N. Y., as a fruit farmer. From this busy life she was
recalled to take the principalship of the school in August, 1922, a position which
she still occupies.
"In 1924 the Bowman Model School was erccted, being dedicated in November,
that year. It stands on the school grounds facing Third Street, and is used as a
model school of practice and demonstration for the training classes (including
grades 1 to 6). This building represents the standard type of a one-room rural
school of the first class, thoroughly modem and up-to-date in every particular as to
construction, heating, ventilating and equipment. The cost, including equipment,
was about 812,000.
"In 25 years the school has had but three principals. It has enrolled about
1,000 students, graduated nearly 800, had 14 assistants on its roll, and been as-
sociated with seven different county superintendents, and always with the highest
degree of co-operation. The original course of study was arranged for one year's
work following eighth grade, leading to a third grade certificate. The course now
administered is a one year's course following high school graduation leading to a
first grade certificate, a noteworthy advance.
"The school was established on a basis of Loyalty, Integrity, Co-operation and
Service-and it still stands on that platform. It is, as it has always been, a school
of opportunity, of choice, of initiative. Its motto is "Forward"; and it has not
89


Go up to Top of Page