University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIII: The county school system,   pp. 78-90


Page 87

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY                          87
can history, chemistry, home economics and physical education. The electives are
geometry and algebra.
The two-year courses in agriculture and domestic economy consist of the same
subjects as are given in the first two years of the four-year course. In addition,
other subjects may be elected from the vocational subjects offered in the third and
fourth years.
The two-year winter short course in agriculture includes for the first year,
arithmetic, milk testing and feeds and feeding, crops and soils, farm mechanics
(rope work, harness work, forge and carpentry) and physical education. For the
second year it includes English, animal husbandry (veterinary science and farm
animals), poultry and horticulture, farm mechanics (gas engine and autos), mechan-
ical drawing and concrete, and physical education.
The general work of the school is very interesting as well as instructive to visitors,
and those among them who are old enough to remember the agricultural methods
in vogue 50 to 60 years ago in this region cannot resist the conviction that the young
people of the present day are better off in their opportunities than their grand-
parents were.
Extension Work and Smith-Hughes Work.-The Dunn County Agricultural
School has done a great deal of extension work with the farmers and their wives
along the lines of farming and home making since its origin. The main lines of
assistance given to the farmers are testing grass seeds for purity and germination
and corn for germination; testing milk, cream and skim milk; testing soil and telling
how much lime to use; organization of cow testing associations; breed associations;
horticultural societies; soil improvement associations, as well as poultry and bee
associations. This work has been carried on for many years. The farmers have
been aided to secure pure seeds and better livestock and the use of limestone has
been practiced. One year the school aided the farmers to get 14,000 pounds of
certified Grimm alfalfa and 50 carloads of limestone. The surveying of land for
tile drainage has been done also. Many thousands of hens have been culled by
the teachers and pupils of the school and the vaccination of thousands of hogs for
protection against hog cholera. Boys and girls club work has been carried on for
several years and last year the club boys and girls exhibited 75 calves at the Dunn
County Fair. Many orchard pruning demonstrations have been held in the county
and many culling demonstrations.
The Smith-Hughes part-time schools and project work began in 1918 or 1919 and
has continued up to the present time. The average attendance at the three part-
time schools held during the fall of 1924 and spring of 1925 was 25. The study of
dairy cattle and home grown feeds was the line of discussion at these schools. Sev-
eral carloads of limestone were purchased by the farmers attending the meetings
and many fields of alfalfa and soybeans are being planted as the result of these
schools. The joining of Cow Testing Associations and improving of herds is one of
the direct results. Sweet clover pastures are being started also.
The aim of the Smith-Hughes work is to bring practical instruction and follow
up project work to the farmers and their sons who are actually engaged in farming
and who cannot get away from the farm to attend other schools.
Principals of the Dunn County Agricultural School :-Karv C. Davis, 1902 to
1907; Jas. A. Wilson, 1907 to 1909; F. R. Crane, 1909 to 1911; W. W. Sylvester,
1911 to 1913; Theo. Sexauer, 1913 to 1917; D. P. Hughes, 1917 to 1925.
The Dunn County Rural Normal School-The following historical sketch of
this school was written by MIiss Elizabeth Allen, principal, on the occasion of its
twenty-fifth anniversary (1924), and is reproduced with her permission.
"..On W'ednesday, Aug. 10, 1899, State Supt. L. D. Harvey came to Menomonie,
Wis., to discuss the question of establishing in this city a Training School to prepare
teachers for the rural schools of the county.
"The idea of such a school doubtless originated in the brain of Conrad E. Patzer,


Go up to Top of Page