University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIII: The county school system,   pp. 78-90


Page 85

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
school. It has taught them habits of self reliance and proved their earnestness and
determination, and in no case have they lost caste either with the faculty or the
student body bv so doing.
Before the Agricultural School was established a Dunn County Farmers' Club
had been organized. The instructors of the school began to work in unison with
club, and sub-ordinate organizations were formed in the various townships of the
county, with the object of advancing the interests of agriculture in all its branches.
Rural school teachers having classes about to finish the country school course were
invited to bring their pupils to visit the Agricultural School, and thus information
was spread and interest increased.
Soon after starting, the Agricultural School purchased sets of tools to be loaned
to any county school wishing to try manual work, either at noons and recesses,
or in classes, and Senator Stout soon after presented the school with 15 sets of such
tools to be used for that purpose.
In December, 1903 Dr. A. E. Bryant, V. S., was engaged to give special lectures
on veterinary science. Angeline Wood had succeeded to the charge of the depart-
ment of domestic economy. H. E. Layne had succeeded Mr. Varnum as county
superintendent, and was secretary of the county school board, J. H. Stout being
president and J. E. Florin vice president.
It is less, however, with men than with measures that this history is concerned.
To enter into all the details of the school's work would be to usurp the function of
its prospectus or bulletin. Some things should be mentioned, however, as most of
the things the students did then, they do now, besides others, which will be subse-
quently referred to.
The young men learned to make models of farm buildings. In the metal work-
ing class they were taught forging, welding, tempering, pipe-fitting and soldering.
They took drives to farms to learn how to test herds, judge stock and poultry,
prune trees and otherwise test in a practical way the experience they had gained in
school. In the domestic economy department the girls learned to make their own
garments and became good cooks.
The school did many things and does now for the farmers free of charge. Milk
and cream were tested for butter fat; farm and garden seeds were tested; clover and
other legumes were treated for bacteria; oats were treated for smut and potatoes
for scab; apple trees were grafted when the scions were furnished- good roads were
planned; barns, silos, poultry and milk houses were planned; also water systems for
houses and barns, and drainage and sewer systems for barns and homes; pure bred
stock was selected for buyers, and information was given regarding feeds, stock,
crops, new plants, planting, weeds, diseases, insects, spraying, fruits, machines,
powers, and all farm subjects.
Another building was soon added to those already mentioned. It was given by
Mfr. Stout and 105 others, and the city of Menomonie, and was called the horticul-
tural building. It measured 28x50 feet and was two stories high over a bank base-
ment. The building derived its name from the basement story, which was used for
the potting of plants, grafting and budding lessons, winter storage of scions, roots,
bulbs and tender plants. On the main story was a poultry department and a room
for keeping and exhibiting machinery and tools used by the school on the farm and
garden. The upper story was used by the students as a gymnasium.
In 1905 Jennie M1. Brackett was elected county superintendent, and in the spring
of that year the school bulletin contained the following announcement addressed
to teachers;
"A summer school in agriculture, manual training and domestic economy will
be held in the county building in Menomonie for two weeks, beginning July 24, 1905.
The work will be in charge of the faculty of the County Agricultural School. Prof.
Davis will have charge of the work in agriculture, Prof. Cole of the manual training
work, and Miss Angeline Wood of the domestic economy work. Arrangements are
being made to do some work in the common branches if it found that the needs of
the summer school require it.' This was a teachers' institute and all teachers in
Dunn County were urged to attend.
85


Go up to Top of Page