University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIII: The county school system,   pp. 78-90


Page 84

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
contained the statement that the state law of 1901 provided that the state should
pay to the county maintaining a school of agriculture and domestic economy "a
sum equal to one half the amount actually expended for instruction" in such school
during the preceding year, provided that the amount given by the state to the
county should not exceed S2,500.
Some changes were soon made in the law so that it authorized "any county
(not to exceed four) to build and equip a school of agriculture and pay the running
expenses for one year. After that the state will pay two-thirds of the annual cost
of maintaining the school-not to exceed 84,0O0 for each school."  Two years'
experience in running the Dunn County school then showed that the annual running
expense was about S6,000, two-thirds of which was paid by the state and one-third
by the county. The present law gives the County Agriculture Schools $6,000 per
year as aid.
Much was done for the school by individuals and local institutions to make it
a success. The authorities of Tainter Memorial Library began purchasing books
of special value to students in the Agricultural School and they were granted the
free use of the library. The authorities of the Stout gymn isium ( V1ended to the
young men of the school the privileges of that institution. For the first year
Senator Stout permitted the young men to use the complete equipment of the
Stout Manual Training carpenter shop for their lessons in farm carpentry. This
gave them time for fitting up the shop building belonging to the school and getting
it properly equipped to begin work for the fall of 1903. It also saved the Agri-
cultural School much expense in equipment while the other departments were being
provided for. Senator Stout also had the yard in front of the building well cleared,
filled, enriched and graded, and the floors of the entire building waxed and finished
in the best possible manner; and a few months later he gave to the Agricultural
School the original Stout 'Manual Training building, which was moved frcm its
old location on the Central School grounds to the southeast corner of the Agri-
cultural School lot. It was used by the Agricultural School for manual training
work until the new shop was built.
Prominent educators, not only in the state of Wisconsin, but in many other
states, were watching the school with considerable interest as an experiment which
or might not prove successful, but it was not long before its success was a recognized
fact.
The farmers throughout the county were urged to visit the school and see for
themselves the work that was being done and they- and their families were always
made welcome, as they are today. The regular course for young men was as follows:
science or agriculture, soils and fertilizers, dairying, poultry raising, stock feeding
and care, judging and marketing, plant life" economic insects and diseases; vege-
table, flower and fruit gardening; farm carpentry and blacksmithing; rural architec-
ture and building; business arithmetic; farm accounts and commercial forms;
history; civil government; library reading.
Tie course for young women'included sewing, cooking, home economy, personal
and domestic hygiene, millinery., home nursing, poultry raising, chemistry of foods,
principles of gardening, history, civil government, library readings.
A special short course for young men and young women was also arranged to
cover two winter terms of 12 weeks each. This short course did not require any
academic work, but was made up chiefly of agriculture and shop work for young
men and of cooking, sewing and launderiig for young women. Tuition was free in
in both the regular and the short courses to all students living in Dunn County;
the amount charged students from other counties being only four dollars for the
winter term of 12 weeks.
The enrollment for the first year in the regular course was 53, most of the
students being residents of Dunn Count. though four were from neighboring coun-
ties and one-a girl--from Pueblo. Colo. In the short course there were ten stud-
ents, all of Dunn County. while one student took a special course.
Some students have been obliged to earn their way by doing various kinds of
work out of school hours, but this has been no. detr mn;. either to them or the
84


Go up to Top of Page