University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIII: the county school system,   pp. 78-90


Page 79

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
apart (to be raised by taxation) to defray the expense and salary of the superin-
tendent of schools. The county school tax. aside from this, was $24,846.96.
The annual report of the county superintendent of schools to the county board
of education for the school year ending June 30. 1914, showed that there were then
in the county 134 school districts and 136 schoolhouses, in which 170 teachers were
employed. One new building had been erected during the year and a number of
schoolhouses had been remodeled. Of the teachers, 11 were men and 159 women.
There were 7,476 children of school age in the county, 5,222 of whom were enrolled
in the public schools and 384 in the parochial schools. The high schools (outside
Menomonie) had 14 graduates. The average daily attendance in all the schools in
the county (outside the city of Menomonie) for the year ending June 30, 1914,
was 3,398. The average yearly salary of teachers was: Rural-male, S337.03;
female, 8332.88. State Graded--male, S615.37; female, $528.83. High Schools
and Grades below-male, $833.67; female, $397.91. The total cost of maintaining
all the schools in the county (outside of the city of Menomonie) was $105,592.95.
One-day teachers' institutes were held in each of the following places: Eau Galle,
Knapp, Elk Mound, Wheeler, Boyceville, Downing, Colfax, Downsville and Ridge-
land. A two day institute conducted by F. S. Hyer of the Stevens Point Normal
School was held in Menomonie.
The state Graded Schools were those at Boyceville, Cedar Falls, Downsville,
Elk Mound, Eau Galle, Knapp, Ridgeland, Weston and Wheeler. The High
Schools were those at Colfax and Downing. The report (containing other items
not here included) was signed by Dona A. Taylor, county superintendent.
The report of County Superintendent Dona A. Taylor for the school year ending
June 30, 1915, showed that most of the school buildings had been improved during
the previous summer. There was an additional school district and schoolhouse,
and 169 teachers had been employed-one less than in the previous school year.
Th, average daily attendance was 3,410. There was an increased interest in pen-
manship, with better results shown in the pupils' work. The last legislature having
passed a law providing for the appointment of a supervising teacher in each county,
Dunn County had obtained the services of Miss Theresa A. Leinenkugel, who for
six years had been county superintendent in Eau Claire County. There were six
graduates from the high schools.
Mr. Taylor was cointy superintendent also for the year ending June 30, 1916.
His report for that year showed 30 graduates from the high schools, a large increase
over the two or more previous years. The cost of maintenance was $108,381.22.
Two children's Reading Circles had been formed, one at Sand Creek and the other in
the Knapp Settlement School.
Dona A. Taylor was succeeded as county superintendent by Theresa A. Leinen-
kugel, the previous supervising teacher, and her report for the year ending June 30,
1917, showed the number of children of school age in Dunn iCounty (outside the
city of Menomonie) to be 7,567, of which 5,185 were enrolled in the public schools.
There were 171 teachers, of whom 16 were men and 155 women. The total cost
of maintenance (outside the city of Menomonie) was $112,785.90. In August, 1917,
a Teachers' Institute was held for a week, and on September 15, the same vear, a
State Graded Teachers' Meeting was held in the assembly room of the Dunn County
Normal School-the first of its kind ever held in Dunn County. Reading Circle
work was progressing rapidly in the county. Miss Anna Ryss, formerly of River
Falls State Normal School, was appointed supervising teacher.
Miss Leinenkugel's report for the year ending June 30, 1918, mentioned the
formation of a new school district (No. 4 in the town of Sand Creek) and building
of a schoolhouse there; also the construction of a schoolhouse in District No. 2 in
the same town. There was a somewhat smaller enrollment this year, namely,
4,664. There were 174 teachers, and the cost of maintenance was $154,338.66.
Teachers' meetings were held in all the larger villages, and a five day Institute was
held in Menomonie, August 12 to 16 inclusive. The report mentioned the sale of
thrift stamps and war savings stamps by the children,.beginning in December, 1917;
also the organization of War Savings Societies. Since the beginning of the war
P"9


Go up to Top of Page