University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin

Chapter XII: three Dunn County institutions,   pp. 74-77

Page 77

some of the more trustworthy patients. in accordance with the plan originally
conceived of giving the latter healthful occupation tending to direct their minds into
normal channels. In this, so far as may be, the patients' individual inclinations
are consulted, some liking to care for horses or cattle, while others prefer field or
garden work.
As more farm products are raised than can be used by the institution, the very
considerable surplus is marketed, the receipts from this source proving an improtant
item in its resources. These products include not only the ordinary farm crops but
also a considerable quantity of milk and cream.
The water supply of the institution is obtained from two wells on the premises,
each with a depth of 400 feet, and a resevoir on Bullard hill having a capacity of
3,000 barrels. The water is pumped into the resevoir from the wells by electric
power derived from the power line which supplies the city, and which also supplies
the current for the electric lighting system.
The report of the trustees for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1924, and signed
by the superintendent and matron contains the following statements:
"During the past year the usual amount of general repair work, and some per-
manent improvements, have been made. The new building used for a pump house
and garage has been completed since our last report. This building houses the new
deep well pump, and the 500-barrel storage tank was a necessary addition to the
water system. The old ice house is in poor condition and has been condemned by
the State Board of Control, and the institution is now quite in need of a more modern
and up-to-date cold storage to take its place. A new and modem building for this
purpose, equipped with an ice-machine and storage rooms for vegetables and fruits,
meats and dairy products, and a work room where these commodities can be
handled. would he most desirable." The report of the attending physician showed
the general health of the patients to have been very good, but few sick, and six
deaths due to old age and chronic diseases.
The balance sheet of the institution for the year ending June 30, 1925, showed
the proprietary interest of Dunn County therein to amount to 8252,210.99, this
including the value of all properties, the available balance charged to the county
treasurer, and accounts receivable. The total expenses of operation for the year
were S37.257.08. The operation of the farm and garden showed a net profit of
The board of trustees (April 1, 1925) consists of the following members: Geo.
R. Topliss of Eau Galle, president; Edward S. Roach of Colfax, vice president; and
C. K. Averill of -Menomonie, secretary. T. H. Moore has been superintendent
since April. 1912, and Mrs. D. C. Moore, matron. H. 0. Geopfarth is bookkeeper.
The Dunn County Home and Poor Farm are situated just east of Bullard Hill,
and adjacent to the Asylum grounds, the land pertaining to it being included in the
1010 acres mentioned in connection with the Asylum. The two buildings are not
more than half a mile apart, but the Poor House is the older building. It is very
much smaller than the Asylum and is a red brick structure of two stories and base-
ment, having accommodations for 25 inmates. This institution also is equipped
with all modern conveniences. It is heated by two furnaces located in the base-
ment; the electric current for lighting, etc., is supplied from the city, and the water
supply is derived from the Asy lum plant on Bullard Hill. Since the Asylum was
built the two institutions have been under the same management. At the present
time (April 1. 1925) the Home has 12 inmates who are being cared for by the county.
The report of the trustees for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1924, showed the cost
of maintenance for the year to have been 82,696.21. There was in the Poor fund
the sum of 81,351.47, and there was due from county, towns and villages the sum of
82,665.00. The inyentory of farm products, live stock, and other property per-
taining to the farm amounted to the total value of 81,438.00; accounts receivable,
$2,665.00; receipts, 83,740.69; disbursements, S2,396.21; total assets, 823,135.41.

Go up to Top of Page